In accordance with the Vision, Purpose, and Values, and strategic direction of the Vancouver Island Health Authority, patient safety is a priority and a responsibility shared by everyone at VIHA; as such, the requirement to continuously improve quality and safety is inherent in all aspects of this position.
The base Electronic Health Record (EHR) functionality is implemented across Island Health acute, ambulatory, long term care, and mental health services. Through IHealth, Island Health is extending the reach and capabilities of its EHR to create a single, integrated, and advanced EHR across the continuum of services Island Health provides. The implementation of advanced EHR functionality, including Computerized Provider Order Entry (CPOE) and electronic clinical documentation, is included in the IHealth scope.
Reporting to the Director, EHR Communications, the Communication Designer is accountable for developing, planning, prototyping, and implementing designs for corporate communications tailored to public, staff, medical staff and other stakeholder experiences throughout Island Health.
The position is ideal for a user-centred communication designer who can leverage their design theory, critical thinking and technical skills with their experience in print, product, digital and interactive projects to transform health design across a range of visual, informational, and service-oriented design solutions.
Travel may be a requirement of this position. Transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of Island Health in accordance with the service assignment and may require the use of a personal vehicle.
Education, Training And Experience
Bachelor of Design, Media Arts, Interactive, Indigenous Visual Culture, Communications or related fields. Three to five years of communication design experience with print, product, digital and interactive projects preferably in a health care setting.
A valid BC Driver's License.
Skills And Abilities
- Communication design abilities and experience to develop user-focused interactive, display, print, and online materials for a variety of audiences
- Skill in business writing to produce or advise on content for compelling internal and external publications
- Expertise in web design, user experience and infographic development
- Skill and proficiency in organizational electronic communication technology and web-based communications
- Knowledge of technical issues relating to production of digital, print and physical materials
- Ability to plan, organize, set, accomplish and measure objectives and results, as well as set priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to work effectively with individuals and teams in a wide variety of settings across the organization, applying interpersonal skills, negotiation skills and taking a problem-solving, service design approach
- Advanced computer skills in graphic design and word processing
- Ability to handle highly confidential and sensitive issues with skill, tact and diplomacy and to act with a high degree of ethical and professional behaviour
- Physical ability to carry out the duties of the position