Casual News Editor
Calgary, AB, Canada Req #1097
Thursday, February 18, 2021
Are you creative, dynamic and passionate? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? Corus Entertainment has an exciting opportunity for you. If you have a passion for excellence, and would like to work for Corus Entertainment, we encourage you to apply.
Division: News & Information
Work Status: Casual
Location: Global Calgary
About the Role
Global Calgary's News Department is currently seeking a casual ENG Editor (Group D) to join their team. The successful candidate will support the newsroom in its day-to-day operations. Applicants should be aware that all shifts including early mornings, days, evenings, and weekends are possible. This position reports to the Executive Producer.
The successful candidate should have working knowledge of how major news organizations are employing a wide range of digital platforms and formats and must be able to adapt in a rapidly changing environment. Applicants must be able to handle the demands and pressure of daily broadcast deadlines.
The following is a summary of the primary functions, but does not outline all of the duties and responsibilities that may be assigned to this position:
- Digitally edit video and audio into compelling news, sports, current affairs and special programming content for use in conventional broadcasts, online and across multiple markets
- Work both collaboratively and independently on stories in a creative and technically accurate manner with minimal supervision
- Liaise with producers about line-ups, scripts, video and audio requirements from various sources
- Assist in re-editing, augmenting and packing of feed, FTP, affiliate and resource materials for other markets
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, time constraints and to deadline
- Have a strong understanding of new media tools and technologies: Twitter, Facebook, YouTube
- FX Knowledge; manipulate video and graphics (blur, pixelate, voice disguise, time lapse, zoom, layer, isolate/highlight footage)
- Incorporate and generate packaging elements as required
- Knowledge in usage of Xpression templates and fonts
- Importing/Exporting footage from other stations
- Recommend and locate visuals that will enhance our content
What We Need from You:
The successful candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- Minimum of 2 years of experience with non-linear editing tools: Grass Valley Edius, Adobe Premiere, Final Cut
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Must be able to handle the demands and pressure of multiple, daily broadcast deadlines
- Motivated, self-starter, independent, results oriented and professional
- Ability to manage multiple projects and to prioritize effectively
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Proactive problem solver who models Corus Values daily
This is a bargaining unit position of News Assistant
- Group D
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day
- Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique
- and amazing
- place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
- No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
02-Media/Communications Creative & Design