Senior Strategist, External Communications
As a key member of the Stakeholder Relations team at Ontario Pension Board (OPB), the Senior Strategist, External Communications will provide communications leadership, expertise, and recommendations on communication strategies, corporate communication materials, media relations, issues management, and project collaborations. You will also provide leadership support in overseeing the day-to-day operations of the team. If you are a results-oriented communications professional with experience leading and developing corporate communications strategies, products and best practices and have expertise in pension administration and financial services, this is a wonderful opportunity.
Reporting to the Manager, External Communications & Digital Experience this position is responsible for establishing, implementing, and maintaining an operational communications strategy to align OPB's external, corporate, crisis, investment and pension communications. In this role, you will be responsible for ensuring that OPB's external reputation is maintained through your contributions to and the development of corporate communications materials, proactive and reactive media relations, crisis communication plans and exercises, issues management, and investment communications. You will also provide support in leading communication project collaborations with business partners, including other functional areas that are both corporate and client facing, as well as OPB's digital and strategic communication vendor agencies, investment partners, and external stakeholders.
As a senior member of the team, you will provide daily oversight and guidance to team members on the day-to-day communications activities including but not limited to assisting with planning and scheduling work assignments, working with the Manager to determine priorities and objectives, and monitoring work progress. You will also act as the first point of contact for escalation for both operational and initiative projects and for internal teams seeking communications support.
- University degree or diploma in a communications discipline, e.g. Journalism, Public Relations/Affairs and/or equivalent combination of education and relevant industry experience.
- Specialized experience in financial services with pension administration expertise and understanding of the critical issues facing institutional investors and investment managers, or experience working with similar clients in the financial services industry through an agency environment (e.g. digital, public relations, advertising). Experience in a public/government relations agency would be an asset.
- Demonstrated experience in communications to analyze or evaluate communication needs and develop results-oriented communications plans.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills to exchange and transform complex and technical information and ability to effectively present information in a clear, concise, easy to understand manner and format.
- Demonstrated ability to build strong relationships with the media, external partners, and crisis communications.
- Strong interpersonal skills to cultivate partnerships and work collaboratively in a team, and with executives, stakeholders, vendors, and business partners on cross-functional project teams.
- Leadership skills to motivate, guide, instruct and support the team and provide feedback and input to team members.
- Planning skills to develop programs, establish priorities and coordinate efforts with internal staff and external contacts.
- Strong organizational, time management and project leadership skills to support scheduling and monitoring of assignments and projects.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast paced, rapidly changing environment where managing multiple competing, time sensitive priorities is essential.
- Demonstrated resiliency, flexibility, and adaptability to adjust approach with shifting priorities.
- High level of motivation, creativity, initiative, and judgement.
- Strategic thinking skills to input into annual and longer-term strategy planning initiatives.
- Well-developed analytical, problem solving and continuous improvement skills to identify trends and opportunities and think outside-the-box to implement creative solutions, enhancements, and innovation.
- Risk identification skills required to identify risks and issues and to implement mitigation strategies.
- Committed to continuous learning and professional development.
Please submit your resume if you are interested in this exciting opportunity.
The competition will remain open until a successful candidate is selected or until the competition is closed.
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
OPB is committed to providing accommodation for people with disabilities in its recruitment process.
Please advise OPB if you require an accommodation and we will work with you to meet your needs.
Candidates being considered for this position will be required to submit to a background screening.