Requisition ID: 99752
Join the Global Community of Scotiabankers to help customers become better off.
Leads and oversees GBM Communications in Canada and globally in conjunction with local GBM communication teams, ensuring business strategies, plans and initiatives are executed in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
The Director, Communications, Global Banking and Markets is a key member of the Global Communications and Social Impact team, responsible for developing and delivering ongoing internal and external communication strategies and initiatives in support of GBM. This role will work closely with a diverse range of stakeholders to deliver on its objectives and ensure alignment with the overall Global Communications and all-Bank objectives.
- Leads and drives a customer-focused culture throughout the team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
o Deliver thoughtful executive communications in support of business programs and initiatives that enhance the profile of leaders and initiatives of the various lines of business with key stakeholders;Communicate the business line strategy and the ongoing execution of the strategy to employees and key partner groups, as well as to the senior team;
- Develop and direct wide-ranging, pro-active and innovative media and public relations programs to communicate and advocate the businesses' priorities and business objectives and support overall positioning and branding strategies; and,
o Serve as a spokesperson for the Bank on GBM issues, and other issues as required, that are highly-sensitive and put the Bank's image and reputation at risk (e.g. AML legislation legal actions, fraud-related cases, M&A activity).
- Provide strong leadership in the creation and delivery of proactive and reactive external communications plans for the GBM business line by:
o Fostering and maintaining a significant network of contacts within the print, broadcast and online media (both working level media/beat reporters, as well as editorial staff and senior journalists);
o Identifying opportunities for GBM spokespeople to be positioned as thought leaders by the media;
o Coordinating GBM spokespeople interviews and public speaking opportunities and monitoring engagement with those interactions;
o Developing and providing advice and direction to the GBM leadership team on overall media response strategies; and,
o Maintaining relationships with relevant industry associations.
- Provide communications advice/support to the Group Heads, EVPs and SVPs in the GBM Business Line to enhance the impact of communications to:
o Support business objectives;
o Promote the Bank's brand and manage external reputational issues;
o Enhance employee engagement;
o Promote two-way, timely, honest, relevant and concise communications approach and assessing communications effectiveness through research and measurement; and,
o Support project teams and key partners in the communication of critical messages related to the successful execution of the Business line's strategic priorities.
- Understand how the Bank's risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
- Creates an environment in which his/her team pursues effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational risk, regulatory compliance risk, AML/ATF risk and conduct risk, including but not limited to responsibilities under the Operational Risk Management Framework, Regulatory Compliance Risk Management Framework, AML/ATF Global Handbook and the Guidelines for Business Conduct.
- Builds a high-performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates his/her team by fostering an inclusive work environment; communicating vison/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team.
- Post-Secondary diploma in journalism, media relations, or related communications designation or equivalent job experience
- 10-15 years of experience in a corporate communications or marketing communications role in a complex, dynamic, knowledge-based environment
- Excellent understanding of financial services and emerging payments/digital space.
- Exceptional written communication skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate and drive employee engagement across a large employee base, at all levels within the organization
- Knowledge and experience communicating via print, web, visual media and emerging communication platforms; social media experience preferred
- with demonstrated experience in leveraging the latest communication vehicles to effectively communicate to employees
- Thorough understanding of Scotiabank and the Global Banking and Markets organizational structures and delivery channels.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain strong media and partner relationships and collaborate across diverse groups
- Excellent project management skills to oversee execution of complex media and public relations strategies and related budgets
- A proven track record of effective leadership, independence and collaboration, with an ability to build strong cross-cultural and cross-divisional team relationships
- Media relations strategies and marketplace standards
- Fluency in second language, especially French or Spanish is an asset
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
As Canada's International Bank, we are a diverse and global team. We speak more than 100 languages with backgrounds from more than 120 countries. Our employees are committed to a superior customer experience and use the Bank's six guiding sales practice principles to ensure they act with honesty and integrity.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.