Communications Specialist: Global News & Corus Radio
Toronto, ON, Canada Req #1156
Monday, March 29, 2021
Are you creative, dynamic and passionate? Do you like to think outside of the box and find new ways to achieve your goals? Corus Entertainment has an exciting opportunity for you. If you have a passion for excellence, and would like to work for Corus Entertainment, we encourage you to apply.
Are you a creative and organized team player with 4 to 7 years of communications experience and a passion for the news and radio media industry? If you can think outside of the box and find new ways to break the status quo, we encourage you to apply for this exciting full-time position. If you want to work for a company that shares your passion for excellence and encourages you to think beyond, this could be the opportunity for you.
Global News and Corus Radio is currently seeking an enthusiastic and dynamic Communications Specialist to join our winning Communications team. The News and Radio portfolio oversees 29 FM stations, 10 talk radio stations, 15 local news stations, four national news brands, the OTT network and a robust podcast portfolio. The successful candidate will manage properties (news and radio) across Ontario, Quebec and the Maritimes, as well as The West Block, the country's most-watched political affairs program and The New Reality, a show dedicated to long-form enterprise reporting. The role reports into the Head of Communications, News and Radio and works closely with the Communications Specialist, Western Canada.
Work Status: Full-Time, Permanent
- WFH during Covid-19 (confirmed extension to September 7, 2021)
About the Role
Reporting to the Head of Communications for News & Radio, the successful candidate will play an important role in designing and executing all strategic communications activities for Global News and Corus Radio properties across eastern Canada. Main responsibilities include generating publicity for our brands, talent and programming, spearheading internal communications across the division, advising on issues and change management when necessary and supporting special projects.
Global News is committed to innovation, journalistic integrity and powerful reporting. We offer Canadians context around the important issues; from breaking news in the community to engaging content and context on issues of both national and international importance.
- Play a lead role in the development and execution of all communications activities in the news and radio portfolio; build profile and generate awareness for our brands, talent and original content
- Work alongside the other Communications Specialist and Director to generate and maximize positive publicity for Corus Entertainment's news and radio properties across Canada
- Guide internal stakeholders in issues and change management
- Research, draft and develop materials including news releases, presentations, promotional material, communication plans etc. for both external and internal audiences
- Maintain and update content on internal and external Corus platforms with relevant and timely materials, including media lists, corporate website, bios for network website.
- Track and monitor media and industry activity; prepare campaign measurement and coverage reports
- Distribute press releases, media alerts, photo advisories, bios and other potential writing opportunities
- Provide event support and onsite logistics for internal and external stakeholders initiatives
- Coordinate and provide PR support for talent requests, publicity opportunities and photo shoots
- Coordinate and work closely with marketing on campaigns, events and initiatives
- Assist in the organization of special events for Corus Entertainment, as required, including staff and media events
What We Need From You:
- Related post-secondary education in communications, PR or journalism, and 4-7 years of experience in the communications, media or entertainment industry
- Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills.
- Exceptional time management skills
- ability to multi-task and work well under deadlines
- Accuracy, attention to detail, strong organizational skills are critical
- Results and performance-driven attitude, an enthusiastic self-starter
- Ability to work independently and take initiative; as well as to collaborate in a team environment and build relationships with diverse internal and external stakeholders ranging from external media to senior leadership groups successfully
- Ability to work with sensitive information and issues in a confidential manner
- Must have an interest and general working knowledge of the news industry
- Fluent in relevant software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and all social media platforms; proficiency in MRP, MailChimp, Piktochart Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and web applications such as WordPress is also valued.
- Must be able to balance well on their toes and aim high
If You Have the Following....We Want to Hear From You!
- Interest in and knowledge of Canadian broadcast industry trends and developments
- A knack for new and innovative publicity thinking and commnuications expertise
- Experience working collaboratively with other internal departments to develop innovative and fully integrated campaigns
- Flexibility and openness to change, new challenges and demands in a fast-paced environment
- Diplomacy, enthusiasm, creativity, strong organization skills and detail orientation
Corus is a driving force in the media industry with a diverse portfolio of strong brands that entertain and inform audiences through great storytelling and compelling content, reaching millions of people around the world every day.
We have a passionate drive to connect with the world around us: to express, to share, to be part of people's lives. Walk around our offices, our stations, our studios across the country and you'll feel it. You'll see it in action.
You'll see it in the open communication and the approachability of our people. You'll see it in our care for quality work and the interest in new, creative solutions. You'll see it in how we work with external partners, and how we care about our communities. These are all core to the values we commit to living each and every day
- Win Together, Think Beyond, Make It Happen, Learn Every Day, Show We Care. Our values describe what makes us pretty unique
- and amazing
- place to work.
At Corus we value and actively involve the full range of what makes people unique in order to create a strong and innovative company where amazing people thrive. A company where people have the full opportunity to show their unique value and develop their potential. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, people of colour, people with disabilities, people from all gender and sexually diverse communities and people with intersectional identities.
Corus is also committed to providing accommodations throughout the interview and employment process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.
How to Apply
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now'.
- No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
02-Communications & Corporate Affairs Generalists
Job Start Date
Monday, April 19, 2021