This is a provisional classification. Formal classification procedures will be initiated by the Compensation & Job Evaluation Unit in approximately six months. About Dalhousie University
Dalhousie University is Atlantic Canada's leading research-intensive university and a driver of the region's intellectual, social and economic development. Located in the heart of Halifax, Nova Scotia, with an Agricultural Campus in Truro/Bible Hill, Dalhousie is a truly national and international university, with more than half of our 19,000 students coming from outside of the province. Our 6,000 faculty and staff foster a vibrant, purpose-driven community, that celebrated 200 years of academic excellence in 2018. Job Summary
Communications, Marketing & Creative Services (CMC) supports Dalhousie University's strategic priorities by working with departments and units to tell the stories of the students, faculty, and staff. Reporting to the Assistant Vice-President, Communications, Marketing & Creative Services (CMC), the Director of Marketing is a senior member of Dalhousie's CMC unit. They oversee all aspects of the university's strategic integrated marketing plans and campaigns. The Director is responsible for achieving maximum marketing impact in support of Dalhousie's key business objectives and goals in an increasingly-competitive post-secondary environment. The Director is instrumental in building, protecting and aligning the institution's brand awareness, consideration, positioning and assets among various stakeholders
- both internal and external. Key Responsibilities
- Develop creative and innovative marketing strategies that contribute to the university's business goals, with particular focus on advancing enrolment and strengthening image, domestically and internationally. Lead and implement a broad range of marketing campaigns, publications and communications to promote a positive image and reputation for Dalhousie and its constituent parts.
- Convey marketing vision and strategy to internal and external stakeholders to ensure success of communications and campaigns, and to protect and enhance Dalhousie's reputation, in all aspects of marketing
- research, development, implementation, execution and measurement.
- Lead, develop and refine Dalhousie's masterbrand strategy to ensure the university's positioning and value proposition streams are meaningful, authentic and differentiated so that the university is presented as a leading destination of choice within the higher education sector. Identify emerging marketing possibilities and align with opportunities to build and advance the Dalhousie brand.
- As key member of the CMC leadership team, support the AVP and bring creative, innovative, strategic, solutions-oriented approach to daily work and decision-making.
- Lead/manage a high-performing team that is accountable, strategic and strongly customer-focused. Note
Applications for this position are restricted to current employees of Dalhousie University. Qualifications
Undergraduate degree in marketing, public relations, or related field (master's degree preferred), plus ten to fifteen years' experience in marketing or communications, demonstrating success in delivering results across multiple platforms and to multiple audiences, in support of institutional strategic objectives, preferably in a higher education environment. Demonstrated knowledge and expertise in development and delivering large-scale integrated marketing communications planning, strategy development, brand compliance and implementation in higher education or related field is required. Exceptional strategic, communication, team leadership/management, organizational, analytical and planning skills are key. Extensive knowledge of post-secondary educational issues would be a strong asset. Job Competencies
The successful candidate is expected to demonstrate proficiency in Dalhousie's core and leadership competencies (https://www.dal.ca/dept/leaders.html), in particular:
- Respect & Inclusion
- Resource & Process Management
- Relationship Building
- Thinking and Acting Strategically Additional Information
Dalhousie University supports a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Our total compensation package includes a defined benefit pension plan, health and dental plans, a health spending account, an employee and family assistance program and a tuition assistance program. Application Consideration
This posting is restricted to current employees of Dalhousie University.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Diversity Statement
Dalhousie University is committed to fostering a collegial culture grounded in diversity and inclusiveness. The university encourages applications from Indigenous persons, persons with a disability, racially visible persons, women, persons of a minority sexual orientation and/or gender identity, and all candidates who would contribute to the diversity of our community. For more information, please visit www.dal.ca/hiringfordiversity.