The CWB Welding Foundation seeks a creative self-starter to assist with marketing and communications efforts. This paid summer internship is an excellent opportunity to experience various aspects of communications and marketing while working in a remote work environment. This position is a professional skills internship to assist the Foundation's Marketing and Communications Lead in implementing organizational communications and marketing strategies. The Communications Intern will work independently and as a team member to fulfill organizational goals and initiatives related to programming and events.
The ideal candidate has good time-management and project-management skills, and is comfortable working with a range of tools-from media releases and articles to social media and video-to accomplish communications objectives. The candidate should also have genuine enthusiasm for creating compelling marketing materials to support educational and skills development programming.
- Working toward a post-secondary degree or diploma, preferably in a related field (e.g., English, Marketing/Communications, Digital Marketing, Advertising or Public Relations)
- Excellent research, writing and editing skills
- Good grasp of the strategic use of social media tools and platforms as part of integrated communications efforts
- Understanding of the basic principles of public relations and/or marketing
- Understanding of the basic principles of visual communications and document formatting
- Computer literacy (working knowledge of Microsoft Office: Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- High attention to detail and accuracy of work
- Ability to prioritize projects and assignments to meet deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Team oriented, accountable, and with the ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Commitment to the continuous improvement of service quality and the organization's mission
Bonus qualifications-the ?nice-to-haves?:
- Knowledge of website content management tools (Drupal), social media tools (HootSuite) and other digital communications tools and platforms
- Skill in graphic design (with Adobe InDesign and Photoshop or online tools like Canva) and video editing
- Bilingual in English and French
- Assist in planning, writing and coordinating content for e-newsletters, social media, website, ads, magazines and other applications
- Assist in maintaining our social media presence, including daily monitoring, planning and writing posts, posting, scheduling and reporting on engagement
- Assist in the development of documents, event/program flyers, graphics and other marketing material
- Liaise with internal and external partners to write ?impact stories,? gather testimonials and quotes, and source photos and captions
- Update the Foundation website with new content current events, relevant news
- Monitor media for news and issues relating to welding and the skilled trades
- Collaborate with staff on new ideas, directions and tools for marketing and communications
- Perform research in support of communications activities
- Support the updating of the Foundation's contact database
Start Date: May 2021
Hours: 35 hours per week, 10 weeks minimum
Compensation: This position is partially funded by Canada Student Works. Compensation to be determined based on qualifications.
About us: The CWB Welding Foundation is a national registered charity that supports the Canadian welding industry by increasing public safety awareness in welding and addressing the welding skilled trade shortage and mismatch in Canada. We develop and facilitate education-based programs and initiatives-beginning in elementary school and into career and professional development and re-skilling-to reduce barriers that affect key groups: elementary, secondary, and post-secondary students and educators, Indigenous students, women, and other groups. Our programs support welding education across Canada.
- Attention to detail
- Computer Skills
- Time Management