The School of Public Policy is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Social Media Strategist.
This position reports to the Director, Communications at the School of Public Policy, and lease the School's social media marketing strategy, tools and systems, and major campaigns. Using a combination of deep professional experience in social media and strategic marketing, the Social Media Strategist will guide the growth of The School's social media program across multiple channels.
The Social Media Strategist is a leader, coach and influencer who gets social media culture and has rich experience in word-of-mouth campaigns, influencer strategy and digital advocacy-building. Connecting meaningfully and authentically with people online comes naturally to this person.
While the ideal candidate for this role is considered a social media guru by their peers, they have the desire, ability, and wherewithal to go beyond the hype and prove the true, measurable value of social media engagement with tangible organizational growth.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Act as an internal champion and evangelist of social media focusing on opportunity identification, strategic benefits, and the voice of our many audiences
- Identify relevant solutions to meet university requirements within the digital space
- Monitor the external social media landscape to anticipate and mitigate potential reputational risks
- Author and share weekly social media reports detailing insights such as opinion, popular topics and trends within selected target audiences
- Operates as the subject-matter expert on the development and deployment of social media-based campaigns, including providing support to the communications team
- Perform ad hoc analysis as necessary to support timely data-driven decision-making including crisis communications and issues management
- Ensure The School's website is always up-to-date and reflective of current messages
- Interface with external vendors and suppliers as required
- Track competitor activity on social media; keep abreast of market changes and the marketing mix used by competitors
- Deal effectively with complex issues, using judgment and problem-solving skills
- Support team members with other day-to-day digital team tasks and coordinating projects and activities as required
- Drive select projects directly, as appropriate
- Train new team members on software tools and systems/protocols as required
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Undergraduate degree, diploma or recognized credential in marketing, business or related field; a combination of education and experience will be considered
- A passion for public policy
- 4 years experience in social media operations with a strong focus on channels such as but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+, Pinterest and SnapChat.
- 4 years experience managing social content streams, continuity, and theme-based editorial calendaring, content marketing and community-building tactics
- 4 years experience with the management and development of distributed governance models and social media standards within a large organization
- Proven, expert-level experience in social media monitoring, responding and reporting via enterprise-level platforms including, but not limited to, HootSuite, Google Analytics, Sysmos, Radian6 and/or Shoutlet
- Self-directed with excellent English communications skills, both written and verbal
- Well organized, with a demonstrated ability to prioritize functions on a daily basis and capable of simultaneously managing multiple responsibilities efficiently and effectively
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently as well as in an energetic team environmen
- Confident, approachable, and outgoing; thrives in a busy, fast-paced professional environment; a patient teacher and natural ambassador
- Able to work well and exercise both good judgment and common sense under pressure; capable of dealing with multiple stakeholders, responsibilities and projects
- Exceeding prudence when posting online
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office (particularly Excel and PowerPoint) and the ability to acquire a high-level of understanding of the university business systems
- Detailed-oriented with a methodical approach to system, process and data management.
Application Deadline: May 7, 2021
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Specialist/Advisor Job Family, Phase II.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
- a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation's most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada's top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.