Business Unit: Office of Rick Hansen
Reports to: Director, Office of Rick Hansen
Status: Full-time, Term
Term: June, 2021
Location: RHF Office in Richmond, BC (Temporarily remote)
Founded on the legacy of Rick Hansen's Man In Motion World Tour, the Rick Hansen Foundation (RHF) is a Canadian registered charity with the vision of creating a fully inclusive and accessible world where people with disabilities are living to their full potential. Through our programs and partnerships, we break down barriers for people with disabilities by changing attitudes, creating accessible spaces and inspiring an inclusive society.
RHF is a dynamic, challenging and rewarding place to work. Our success begins with our people. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce representative of the communities we serve. If you are interested in being a part of our innovative team and are passionate about making a difference, we hope that you will consider a career with us.
Preference will be given to applicants who are members of the following group: persons with disabilities. If this applies to you, we invite you to disclose your disability in your cover letter.
The Communications Manager, Office of Rick Hansen (ORH) leads the development and implementation of marketing and communications strategy for the Founder, Rick Hansen (RH). The Communications Manager, ORH, is responsible for brand awareness and strategic communications projects for RH in support of the Founder's activities.
This position develops and implements communications and media relations plans, works with traditional and digital outlets to respond to and secure media coverage, and works with key stakeholders to enhance reputation and brand.
Travel and flexibility with hours of work required.
Reporting to the Director, ORH, the Communications Manager, ORH works closely with the Founder (RH), the Director, Marketing, the Marketing & Communications (MarComm) team and the ORH Team. This position liaises internally and externally with key stakeholders.
This position supervises one direct report.
ORH TEAM ACCOUNTABILITIES
In partnership with the ORH team, this position actively participates with Strategy and Climate.
- Supports/leverages the Founder's engagement to maximize ROI; understands RH's role; identifies target opportunities against ROI; helps secure opportunities; prepares the Founder for success in the engagement; supports the event/engagement; ensures appropriate follow-up; and measures impact.
- Participates and contributes in regular sessions; develops goals; and supports, implements and promotes action plans.
- Develops and executes strategic communications and digital engagement plans for internal and external projects and activities based on the Founder's initiatives;
- Liaises with Director, Marketing, and MarComm team to ensure alignment of marketing and communications strategies with RHF;
- Builds national and international profile and awareness, as well as maintains and enhances the reputation of RH;
- Provides personal PR and reputation management support to RH, including media coaching, and serves as on-call support when needed;
- Plans and develops proactive and reactive media relations activities, including traditional and daily social media, as related to RH;
- Develops communications materials for various media channels including, but not limited to, pitches, scripts, briefing materials, key messages, op-eds, blogs, press releases, quotes, etc.;
- Proactively cultivates and maintains strong relationships with key media accounts/contacts, key markets, and relationships;
- Contributes to media monitoring, measurement, evaluation and reporting of media and social media coverage for RH;
- Develops, writes, and edits materials that ensure consistent use of RH brand and messaging;
- In partnership with the Relationship Specialist, monitors and responds to RH correspondence.
- Provides media/PR support and staffing for RH at public events and appearances;
- Manages special projects such as Podcasts, books, documentaries, videos, TV shows, photoshoots and other media;
- Maintains discretion and confidentiality in all Founder relationships;
- Ensures Salesforce is updated for all relative relationships and projects pertaining to Communications;
- Performs special projects as required; and
- Performs other related duties in keeping with the purpose and accountabilities of the job.
Education: University degree or diploma in a related field.
- Minimum 6 years of related experience, ideally in a similar role or with an agency;
- Publicity, PR or journalism background required;
- Demonstrated experience managing media and public relations activities and events;
- Experience supporting a public figure is an asset;
- Strong understanding of media and partner relations, as well as an in depth knowledge of media operations;
- Strong grasp of the Canadian media landscape across digital and traditional channels; and
- Understanding and sensitivity of issues relating to people with disabilities is an asset.
- Effective oral and written communication, interpersonal, time management, relationship management, problem-solving, organizational and public presentation skills;
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines while managing multiple priorities;
- Responsive and adaptable to quickly changing environments;
- Ability to work independently and as a team player in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong attention to detail; and
- Ability and willingness to thrive in a dynamic innovative culture.
An equivalent combination of education, experience and skills/behaviours will be considered.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are interested in being a part of our innovative team and are passionate about making a difference, we hope that you will consider a career with us.
Interested and qualified candidates can apply quoting competition #2021-04 by May 18, 2021.
While we thank all applications for their interest, only short-listed candidates will be contacted.