The Department of Physiology & Pharmacology in the Cumming School of Medicine invites applications for a Coordinator, IMPACTT Education & Communication. This Full-time Fixed Term position is for approximately 1 year (based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
This position reports to the Director, IMPACTT, and works with the leads of the Integrated Microbiome Platforms for Advancing Causation Testing and Translation (IMPACTT) and the International Microbiome Centre (IMC) Directors.
The IMPACTT Education and Communications Coordinator will play a critical role in the development and implementation of the IMPACTT education and communications program. They will plan, organize, and implement the various educational platforms including lectures, webinars, hands-on microbiome workshops, as well as maintain educational IMPACTT website and outreach content. They will also be responsible for communicating within the IMPACTT team as well as to IMPACTT/IMC directors, stakeholders and the public.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Program coordination and reporting
- Responsible for the overall organization, reporting and updating of the education and communication related operations of the IMPACTT program
- Independently compile information into reports
- Ensures that the IMPACT/IMC directors and education lead are kept up to date on all aspects of the IMPACTT education and communication operations
- Develop and implement the IMPACTT educational schedule and roadmaps for the IMPACT/IMC dir Determine priorities and implementation methods for IMPACTT education and communication platforms
- Serve as a liaison for communication and networking between internal and external stakeholders and microbiome researchers
- Coordinate educational workshops and other educational events related to the IMPACTT program
- Manages time independently and handles confidential information in a professional manner and with integrity
- Communication and networking
- Ensure the content on the IMPACTT website is current and up to date
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders and microbiome researchers through but not limited to meetings, email, website, social media, workshops and symposiums with reporting to the directors
- Establishes and maintains an effective and productive professional relationship with directors, staff, students and faculty both internal and external
- Workshops and Symposiums Administration
- Organizes and implements IMPACTT workshops and symposiums working with the International Microbiome Centre (IMC) team and the Education Committee
- Manages logistics for IMPACTT workshops and symposiums with the IMC team and education committee
- Ensures effective networking and promotion of workshops, symposiums and events
- Communicate external microbiome events to the Directors
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Graduate Degree in microbiome-related biological science or any other microbiome-related field
- A minimum of 3 years of research project management related experience is highly desirable
- A combination of education, training and experience may be considered
- Experience and knowledge in microbiome research is highly desirable
- Some expertise in project management and communication is highly desirable
- Proven strengths in written and oral communication and exceptional organizational skills are essential
- Excellent trouble-shooting skills required
- Demonstrated experience in supporting researchers through consultation and/or training regarding microbiome research
- Must be open to learning and development, and be willing to accept new challenges and assignments
- High level of effectiveness in time and project management, supervisory skills , personal initiative and teamwork
- Demonstrated communication, organization, innovation, and interpersonal skills with internal and external stakeholders
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office is required
- A positive attitude, self-motivated and the ability to work independently and as part of the team
- Understanding of safety codes, technical equipment and quality assurance procedures, as related to specialization
- Certification in WHIMS, biohazard handling will be required
Application Deadline: May 11, 2021
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is part of the AUPE bargaining unit, and falls under the Operational/Administrative Job Family, Phase III.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website. For more information about the Cumming School of Medicine visit Careers in the Cumming School of Medicine.
About the University of Calgary
- a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation's most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada's top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.