The Saskatchewan Teachers' Federation is seeking a dynamic and experienced communications professional for the position of Communications Manager. Working in a collaborative environment, the Manager provides a leadership role in order to manage the day-to-day operations of the Communications work unit. This position will also provide a full range of internal and external communications including implementation of strategic plans set by senior management. In addition, this position supervises and directs the work of the unit.
This position works in partnership with the Manager, Design and Production to ensure the website, intranet and other digital services support the goals and objectives of communications plans.
- Establish practices and procedures to guide the day-to-day operations and projects of the unit.
- Assist and guide the team in the development and implementation of the communications plan, ensuring alignment with the organization's strategic and public relations plans.
- Build and develop a high-performing, engaged communications team that delivers innovative projects with exceptional results.
- Promote and implement the Federation's strategic plan and strategic communications plan to assist in the realization of its vision, mission and identified priorities.
- Plan, coordinate, monitor and evaluate marketing and communication initiatives to fulfil the objectives of the organization and work unit, while ensuring consistency of messaging and voice.
- Provide a full range of content strategies, services, channels and tools to be used by the Federation and its work units, including researching, writing and editing a large amount and variety of communications materials for print and online owned, earned and paid media assets.
- Assist in the development and delivery of effective internal communications of the organization to ensure appropriate messaging that is clear, informative and builds strong employee engagement.
- Further develop the sponsorship program and process, including pro-actively identifying sponsorship opportunities that align with public relations objectives.
- Research, monitor and recommend implementation of anticipated regulatory requirements, technologies, trends and best practices to apply to the Federation's communication activities and initiatives for all programs and services.
- Develop, implement and monitor appropriate operational policies and practices to ensure the clear direction and accountability of work unit employees.
- Oversee digital analytics related to communications tools and campaigns to assess effectiveness and inform future projects.
Design and Production Partnership
- Liaise with design and production to present digital solutions for products and services that meet the vision and approach identified by the communications team.
- Partner with the Manager, Design and Production to ensure website design and functionality align with the vision and direction of the Federation's communications plans and approach.
- With a member-centric focus, collaborate with the Manager, Design and Production to ensure form and functionality of website fits with the Federation's brand personality, audience needs and strategic vision.
- Ensure work product presents a consistent Federation voice and aligns with our brand personality.
- Contribute to the budget and planning process; review and analyze expenditures against budget projections and take necessary corrective action.
- Authorize expenses for the communications work unit within approved policies and guidelines.
Typically the knowledge and skills required include an undergraduate degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Relations or related field, supplemented by a minimum of five years of experience in a progressively responsible role related to the implementation of marketing and communication plans and projects. A demonstrated ability to effectively supervise staff and manage a work unit is a definite requirement. An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
Skills, knowledge and abilities include:
- Demonstrated experience and leadership in the marketing and/or communications field.
- Strong leadership skills to effectively work with employees and oversee projects.
- Ability to research and analyze complex issues and provide advice and recommendations regarding communication strategies.
- Ability to carry out responsibilities autonomously yet interdependently.
- Strong editing and proofreading skills.
- Experience and knowledge of social media tools and strategies.
- Demonstrated written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills.
- Ability to remain calm under pressure.
- Ability to recognize sensitive situations and act appropriately.
- Strong relationship-building skills.
Salary and Benefits
The Federation offers a competitive salary plus a full range of benefits, including extended health care; retirement plan; group life insurance; generous vacation package; sick leave; long-term disability and paid leave to deal with family, health and sickness and compassionate situations.
As a registered employment equity employer, the Federation encourages applications from members of the following equity groups: Indigenous peoples, people with disabilities, members of visible minorities and women.
If your considerable experience and strong commitment to excellence serve to make you an exceptional candidate for this position, please complete the Careers Application Form by selecting the ?? button below. Please submit your cover letter and resume in one PDF or WORD file. The deadline for applications is 4 p.m., May 26, 2021.