Narcity Media is a digital-only media publication that owns and operates Narcity.com and Mtlblog.com. We connect with millions of millennials monthly on our websites, social channels, and app.
We are a group of passionate individuals who are devoted to creating the best content for our readers and clients. We are on a mission to revolutionize local news and travel globally.
Narcity Media is looking for a motivated and experienced Associate Editor to join our rapidly expanding editorial team. The Associate Editor will play a pivotal role in our daily operations by working with writers to break exclusive stories relevant to readers in Calgary.
We are seeking a storyteller who loves Calgary and believes it's the most interesting place in the world. They are excited about covering everything from local politics to real estate to restaurants
- whatever is happening in the city.
The right person should have a strong network of sources and have a knack for finding unique local angles. This person should have a record of breaking exclusive stories and be passionate about working with young and enthusiastic writers.
Before applying, please visit our sites to get a feel for what kind of company we are! We have four: MTLBlog (https://www.mtlblog.com/), Narcity Canada, (https://www.narcity.com/local/ca) Narcity USA (https://www.narcity.com/local/us), and Narcity Québec. (https://www.narcity.com/local/ca/qc/quebec)
1. Strengthen the Editorial team's OKRs and Objectives
- Meeting deadlines and assignments set by manager
- Analyzing data and analytics, and seeking to increase reader engagement and growing Narcity's audience
- Meeting or exceeding both team and personal traffic objectives through the creation of engaging articles
- Building a strong network of sources and a knack for finding unique angles
- Working and brainstorming with other Editors and Writers to make sure Narcity is the best website for millennial content
- Maintaining a positive and flexible attitude as the company continues to evolve and expand its mission
- Representing Narcity Media's values online and offline during term of employment 2. Coaching and Leading Writers
- Leading a team of writers in the creation of exclusive, timely, and original stories for Narcity's platforms across a wide range of topics
- Researching, assigning, editing, and writing articles
- Assisting in the recruitment, training, and management of writers 3. Being an Expert on Tone & Editing
- Ensuring the accuracy, consistency and compliance with standards of all the material on the site (SEO, articles, headlines, photos, captions, video, etc.)
- Setting the voice and tone for Narcity in your city, staying on top of current events and building a network of local sources
- Respecting brand and quality guidelines set by Narcity Media for all content Track record
- Exceptional verbal and written English skills
- 1-3 years of professional editing experience at a digital news publisher and ideally a Bachelor's degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field
- A passion for a mix of research, data & analytics, local news, and management
- An obsession with tight deadlines and team brainstorming
- The ability to spot catchy, unique angles while staying true to the Narcity voice
- A deep knowledge of what is happening and trending in your city
- Availability to work a flexible full-time schedule including evening and weekend work as required You are
- Flexibility/ adaptability
- Adjusts quickly to changing priorities and conditions. Copes effectively with complexity and change.
- Attention to detail
- Does not let important details slip through the cracks or derail a project.
- Strategic Thinking/ Visioning
- Able to see and communicate the big picture in an inspiring way. Determines opportunities and threats through comprehensive analysis of current and future trends.
- Exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude. Position Type
This is a permanent position based in Calgary, Alberta, but the Associate Editor must be able to work closely with writers across the country. Compensation will be commensurate with experience.
We offer many perks such as a remote office, wellness fund, phone and internet allowance, an extensive benefits package, and a competitive salary.
Why do what we do everyday? Because your city matters.
If this resonates with who you are, take the first step and apply, we can't wait to talk with