Permanent (for any group)
Position End Date (if applicable)
MRU Main Campus
- Calgary, AB T3E 6K6 CA (Primary)
Founded in 1910 and located in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, Mount Royal University grew into a vibrant college in the 1930s and became a mid-sized university in 2009. Mount Royal has carved out a distinct niche by offering smaller class sizes, a robust liberal education and unique undergraduate programs. Currently, nearly 15,000 credit students choose from 12 bachelor degrees and 36 majors.
Mount Royal University is located in the traditional territories of the Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) and the people of the Treaty 7 region in southern Alberta, which includes the Siksika, the Piikani, the Kainai, the Tsuut'ina and the Iyarhe Nakoda. We are situated on land where the Bow River meets the Elbow River. The traditional Blackfoot name of this place is "Mohkinstsis," which we now call the city of Calgary. The city of Calgary is also home to the Métis Nation.
Mount Royal University is committed to removing barriers and fostering the inclusion of voices that have been historically underrepresented or discouraged in our society. In support of our belief that diversity in our faculty and staff enriches the work, learning and research experiences for the entire campus community, we strongly encourage members of the designated groups (women, Indigenous Peoples, persons with disabilities, members of visible minorities, and diverse sexual orientation and gender identities) to apply and self-identify.
About the Role
Let's get to the point. If you are a creative leader in strategic communications, you belong here.
Marketing and Communications at Mount Royal University is looking for an experienced and confident professional to lead the Communications portfolio. If you are an exceptional collaborator with senior level leadership expertise, we want to meet you.
Reporting to the AVP, Marketing and Communications, the Director of Communications leads and empowers a talented team of highly skilled communicators. The team manages all of Mount Royal's communications vehicles, including media, social media, website, publications, community relations, events, internal communications, the University's main switchboard and other external and internal communications initiatives and platforms.
The Director of Communications oversees both long-term projects and urgent priorities, developing sophisticated communications strategies to address future communications needs for the University while also providing a daily and immediate communications response to a wide range of projects, challenges and opportunities. This role leads crisis communications, and supports issues management by employing exceptional judgment and problem solving skills.
Together with the AVP and the Director of Marketing, the Director of Communications seeks ways to help foster a fully integrated Marketing and Communications team. Recognizing the value of diverse talents and specialties, the Director of Communications works closely with the AVP and the Director of Marketing to make good projects even better.
MRU is committed to maintaining and further developing a diverse campus. This role requires a particular dedication, understanding, professional experience and/or lived reality that ensures the incumbent is aware of and committed to diversity and inclusion. All qualified applicants will be considered for this role.
- Provide formal leadership to the Communications team as they manage communications across their respective vehicles and channels, and informal leadership to the Marketing team on shared projects
- Provide institutional perspective, priorities and context to the team, enabling them to understand the big picture and represent institutional direction in their work
- Empower the team to learn and develop their own communications skills, and to embrace innovative and technology-driven strategies
- Responding to the University Strategic Plan Framework, collaborate with the AVP and Director of Marketing to build a multi-year, measurable marketing and communications strategy, along with annual business plans in support
- Manage and enhance the Crisis Communications Plan, updating and improving annually
- Train staff from both within and outside of Marketing and Communications on crisis communications to ensure familiarity with roles, capacity among team members and responsiveness when necessary
- Seek out and remain aware of all major campus issues, recommending messaging and approach and supporting University leaders in appropriate and timely responses
- Write and proof numerous communications pieces intended for a wide range of internal and/or external audiences
- Collaborate with leaders across campus to solve communications challenges and to take advantage of communications opportunities
- Bachelor's degree in a related field
- 15 years of increasingly responsible communications experience
- A high level of practical skill in writing and general communications practice
- Exceptional judgment and problem solving skills
- Proven experience working successfully within a highly collaborative environment
- Experience with crisis communications and issues management
- High energy, with a comfort juggling many competing priorities
- Preference given to individuals with an expertise in equity, diversity and inclusion
- Preference given to individuals with professional experience in public sector or post-secondary education
What We Offer
Talented and committed employees are the driving force behind student success. We strive to be an employer of choice among Canadian post-secondary institutions.
At Mount Royal University, we recognize that people are a combination of many intersecting identities; we work to cultivate an environment that welcomes the whole person, and harnesses the strength that is available in our diversity, creating a rich and inclusive workplace.
Investing in the learning and development of our employees benefits the individual and the University. A variety of services, resources and programs encourage a healthy, productive workplace. Mount Royal University offers a competitive total compensation package including health and dental benefits, pension, health and personal spending accounts, paid vacation, winter holiday closure, personal days and a free membership in our fully equipped recreation centre.
Our campus offers the convenience of a full medical clinic, dentist and pharmacy, as well as a variety of wellness services such as physiotherapists and massage therapists. Campus Recreation offers many activities, including personal training, fitness classes, climbing, aquatics, sports, tournaments and certifications for students, employees and the public.
Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate is found
A cover letter and resume should be submitted in one .pdf document. Please title your .pdf document as follows: [Last Name], [Requisition Number].pdf (ex. Smith, 999999.pdf).
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. After the close date, you can check on the status of your application through your Career Centre. New career opportunities arise frequently and are posted as they become available. Please check back often to view our latest postings on our Career Opportunities page. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. Mount Royal University hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to fostering diversity as a source of excellence, intellectual and cultural enrichment, and social strength. We welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff, faculty and their scholarship including but not limited to Indigenous Peoples, women, persons with disabilities and persons of any sexual or gender identity, ethnic, national or socio-economic background, religion or age.
Job Type: Permanent