The Communications & Marketing Advisor (CMA) supports the University of Alberta Students' Union (UASU) in all aspects of its communications with more than 30,000 current undergraduate students at the University of Alberta. Reporting to the Director of Marketing and Communications, the CMA plays a key role in the development, assessment, and maintenance of communication strategies for the UASU, its individual services, businesses and programs, and the Executive Committee.
- Contribute to the development and organization of communication goals for the UASU businesses, services, events, and executive portfolios.
- Maintain a consistent brand voice in student-facing communications.
- Write and develop communications themes, key messages, and content for a wide range of media and audiences.
- Maintain and implement content planning, client communications, and strategies for various media, including but not limited to: The UASU website and sub-sites, Email newsletters, Social media accounts (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, etc.), Mobile engagement application, The UASU Student Handbook and other publications.
- Support the Executive Committee, and Research and Advocacy staff, in deploying student-facing communications involving advocacy initiatives with all levels of government and university stakeholders.
- Ensure highest quality communications in all areas through writing, editing and proofreading.
- Identify emerging issues and opportunities that can contribute to UASU objectives, and implement appropriate communication strategies.
- Supervise and mentor undergraduate student staff in the development and implementation of social media and other communications strategies (as required)
- Perform any other job-related duties as required.
- Degree from a recognized post-secondary institution, or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Training in a marketing or communications specialization is a significant advantage.
- Experience in stakeholder engagement and communications in post-secondary education or a related sector.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral).
- Must be extremely organized and comfortable adhering to specific timelines.
- Demonstrated ability to advise decision makers and take direction while working as part of a team.
This is a full-time position: 37.5 hours per week during normal working hours.
This position is posted with the intention to fill it for the start date listed, but it is subject to any changes required as a result of 2021/2022 Students' Union and University operations.
Working Environment (Blended Work)
The Students' Union is committed to upholding all relevant public health measures in the workplace. This position will use a blended model of remote and in-office work for as long as the COVID-19 situation requires. The UASU Marketing and Communications Department is currently working 100% remotely. When it is safe to do so, staff will be expected to work on-site for the majority of their working hours. For periods of working from home, staff will be provided with a work computer if they do not have something suitable, but should have access to a stable internet connection and be able to complete a work schedule based in Mountain Standard Time (MST).
Equity and Inclusion
The UASU's mission is to serve, engage, and represent students. To do that well we need an organization that is representative of the students we serve. We are committed to creating a diverse environment that fosters a sense of belonging and empowerment. We actively encourage applications from members of groups experiencing barriers to equity.