The Department of Communication Services within the Office of Advancement is currently seeking a Full-time Regular Marketing Manager.
Reporting to the Director of Communications Services and in alignment with brand vision established by the Vice President of Advancement, the Marketing Manager is a self-motivated, versatile and data-driven marketer who is eager to lead ongoing brand advertising showcasing the impact of UCalgary's research and educational innovations.
To ensure success, the individual will need extensive knowledge of marketing strategies, excellent writing and planning skills, and the ability to identify new and leading-edge approaches to grow our brand awareness locally, nationally and beyond.
This role is responsible for developing, executing and optimizing tactical marketing and promotional strategies under the brand vision and narrative established within Advancement Communications. It will write and provide art direction for content, manage the set-up and monitor evaluation of institutional paid brand advertising campaigns.
This role will collaborate with communications teammates within the Office of Advancement and across campus, to support maintaining a consistent brand voice and message across all paid programs. The Marketing Manager is recognized as an internal expert within the University, providing strategic leadership to solve highly complex problems, interpreting issues and recommending best practices. This position takes a broad perspective to identify innovative solutions in areas that involve multiple disciplines.
This individual will work collaboratively with other managers under the Director of Communications Services and within Advancement Communications to seek integration of ad opportunities with other content generation and communications client support activities underway. This role works in an environment with a consistently heavy workload, with shifting priorities and competing demands. This position consistently encounters complex tasks and issues and must communicate frequently with staff, faculty and other stakeholders with professionalism and a high degree of independent judgement.
The ideal candidate for this role should have a strong sense of accountability and enjoy leading and being part of a team that comes together to achieve clear project goals. The nature of the work often includes multiple simultaneous deadlines. Moderate to high stress and pressure throughout the year, particularly during peak periods, may be encountered.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
- Working under the strategic direction the Interim VP Communications and Director of Communications Services, this role will create tactical action plans to oversee constant UCalgary brand marketing campaigns on behalf of the entire University of Calgary.
- This role will translate high level strategy from senior leadership and create marketing plans, marketing copy and oversee the development and execution of marketing materials. It will also focus on all metric tracking to prove return on investment for the brand marketing campaign.
- Establish long- and short-term marketing tactical plans under the guidance of the Director of Communications Services and aligned with brand narrative and vision established by the VP Advancement.
- Ensure marketing programs align with other communications activities to provide an integrated marketing and communications approach.
- Prepare quarterly and annual reports to demonstrate return on investment.
- This role will also manage junior specialist who will be assigned to help support marketing activities. This includes monitoring their day-to-day activities, ensuring quality control over their work and guiding them in marketing best practices.
- 25 %
- This role will be the primary contact for ad agencies and ad buying firms, ensuring they adhere to our standards, overseeing the placement of our ads, tracking results and troubleshooting any issues as they arise.
- The overall advertising budget will be set by the interim VP Communications in consultation with the Director of Communications Services.
- This role will track invoices from vendors to ensure we are aligned with our ad budget.
- Research and test partnerships with new vendors to expand our reach and/or lower our cost-per-acquisition.
- Measure and optimize our paid marketing using vendor-specific dashboards, Google analytics, and marketing analytics reports.
- 10 %
- This role will coordinate with creative services team and other communications teams to create editorial content for the placement of ads in line with deadlines. It will act as project manager for all editorial content required for brand ad campaigns.
- In addition, this role will offer guidance to marketing professionals across campus who are seeking to get marketing advice and best practices on their marketing campaigns.
- Craft landing pages and lead generation forms for our content to distribute through relevant paid programs.
- Direct art direction for creation of ad content for various platforms.
- Build and manage a rich content / marketing editorial calendar that attracts a qualified audience to our owned properties.
- Optimize our marketing automation and lead nurturing processes through email, content and social channels.
- Maintain current knowledge of marketing strategies and trends as they apply to the post-secondary sector.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Must have a Bachelors degree in Marketing, Business Administration, Communications or related field. MBA preferred.
- Must have excellent writing skills suitable for a variety of media, including websites and social media.
- Must have extensive knowledge of marketing strategies, channels and branding, particularly digital and social media marketing.
- Should possess in-depth knowledge of various paid marketing channels and technologies, including paid search (Google AdWords), retargeting, social network advertising (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest and more) and content distribution and placement networks.
- Must have demonstrated experience executing on established marketing budgets and forecasting/reporting results.
- Must have demonstrated experience developing and executing online content marketing and social media development strategies.
- Should possess superb leadership, communication, and collaboration skills, exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills, strong time management and organizational abilities.
Application Deadline: June 22, 2021
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is classified in the Professional Career Band, Level 3 of the Management and Professional Staff Career Framework.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
- a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation's most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada's top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.