Job Description :
Resumes are being accepted for the position of Manager of Corporate and Community Strategic Initiatives. Reporting to the General Manager, Strategy, Innovation and Intergovernmental Services, the successful candidate will play an critical role in developing a culture of strategic planning and performance measurement excellence as well as supporting the implementation of the goals and objectives of the Guelph's Community Plan and the City's Corporate Strategic Plan. In addition, this role provides leadership and coordination for corporate innovation initiatives, such as the development of Guelph's innovation roadmap and Civic Accelerator program. Working in a collaborative, community-minded environment, using expert facilitation and relationship building skills are key to success in this role. Guided by the goals and objectives of the City of Guelph Corporate Strategic Plan and committed to the Corporate Values of integrity, service, inclusion, wellness and learning, the candidate will aid in the achievement of the Community Vision for an inclusive, connected, prosperous city.
- Work with the CAO, Executive Team, Council, Corporate Management Team, as well as internal and external stakeholders to create inspiring, results based strategic plans that drive culture change and service transformation to meet the needs of Guelph's diverse community.
- Develop key strategic partnership with community leaders and grass roots organizations to make progress on and update Guelph's Community Plan; a collaboration designed to steward corporate planning, partnership action, advocacy and resource alignment over the long term.
- Lead the development and implementation of corporate strategic planning and organizational performance frameworks to support organizational reporting for established goals and key performance indicators.
- Develop interactive and user focused digital dashboards and reports to monitor and summarize status of key strategic and operational metrics and KPIs to support the organization to identify opportunity and areas of concern and communicate transparently a variety of stakeholders.
- Support the design and implementation of systematic and coordinated business planning across the organization to increase alignment of service areas and their divisions/departments with the City's strategic plans.
- Lead research, data analysis, environmental scanning, benchmarking and community engagement activities to provide the organization with foundational business and population level analytics to support its strategy and performance planning activities.
- Lead the development of an innovation/corporate smart cities roadmap aligned to the Strategic Plan, and associated programs such as Guelph Lab, the Civic Accelerator and the employee Innovation Fund.
- Build strategic partnerships with local and national partner agencies to develop Guelph's innovation ecosystem that enables the organization to implement its innovation strategies and achieve impact for the community.
- Manage ad-hoc strategic initiatives (most recently related to Equity and Anti-Racism) to act quickly on emerging community and corporate needs.
- Proactively manage strategic risks and issues that arise regarding strategy implementation and strategic initiatives.
- Other related duties and special projects are required.
- Extensive experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through post-secondary education in public administration, political science, business or a related field and extensive experience with strategic plan and corporate performance program development and implementation in a public sector environment. Candidates with equivalent education and experience may be considered.
- Experience managing staff and leading work teams
- Experience managing and building innovation capabilities
- Ongoing professional development/learning in project management, stakeholder engagement, performance management, strategic planning, change management etc.
- Excellent critical thinking skills through past experience
- Excellent communication skills with strong interpersonal, relationship management, networking, collaboration and time management skills
- Well-developed consulting and facilitation skills (defining issues; clarifying relationships and managing client expectations; researching, developing and recommending options; and when asked, facilitating implementation)
- Familiarity with public sector terminology and culture, as well as a high level of political acumen
- Due to the nature of this position, some travel, evening and weekend work will be required
How to apply
Qualified applicants are invited to apply using our online application system by Sunday, July 4, 2021. Please note all applicants must complete the online questionnaire specific to this position at the time they submit their resume and cover letter in order to be considered. Proof of qualifications will be requested at the interview stage.
Please visit the job posting listed on our careers page and click on the ?Apply for this job? button. Instructions will follow.
The City of Guelph is an equal opportunity employer which values diversity in the workplace. We are therefore happy to accommodate any individual needs in keeping with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. If you require an accommodation in order to participate in the hiring process, please contact us to make your needs known in advance.
Personal information collected through the recruitment process will be used solely to determine eligibility for employment. We thank all candidates in advance; however, only those being considered for an interview will be contacted.