SRCE 21-098, Assistive Technology and Augmentative & Alternative Communication Lead Teacher
During this round of postings, permanent contract teachers, teachers with Recall Status and any other external applicants
- including other SuccessFactors internal applicants with the Strait Regional Centre for Education may apply to vacancies that they are qualified for. Internal applicants who apply for more than one position should rank their application in order of preference.
As part of the public education system in Nova Scotia, the Strait Regional Centre for Education (SRCE) was established on April 1, 2018, to deliver the public school program focusing on supporting student learning, achievement, well-being and overall success. The Strait Regional Centre for Education, with the support of approximately 1,000 employees, works diligently to achieve its mission ?to empower our children and youth, within safe, equitable and inclusive environments to embrace a changing world as responsible, contributing and successful lifelong learners.? In 2019-2020, the SRCE operates 20 schools with approximately 5,952 students; and approximately 321 children are attending pre-primary programs at 14 school locations. Located in the northeastern part of Nova Scotia, the Strait Regional Centre for Education's jurisdiction encompasses the counties of Antigonish, Guysborough, Inverness and Richmond, an area of approximately 11,000 square kilometres with a population of 53,125 (Census 2016).
Teachers who are hired or recalled into new positions will be required to participate in a New Teacher Training if they have not already done so.
Deadline for Applications: 06/27/2021, at 11:59 pm.
Effective Dates: 08/01/2021
- Follow guidelines set by EECD and RCE regarding Inclusive Education, communication, direct support, professional development, etc.
- Work with teachers and school teams with Universal Design for Learning strategies and practices to include all learners aligning with Multi-Tiered System of Supports (MTSS)
- Provide professional support as part of a school's Teaching Support Team
- Provide professional support as part of an individual Student Planning Team.
- Support school teams to determine if and ensure that students have the necessary Accessible Educational Materials (AEM), Assistive/Accessible Technology and/or Augmentative Communication to engage in and access learning.
- Assist teachers and team members in selecting and adapting teaching strategies and resources to meet the needs of students who require and use Assistive Technology and/or Augmentative Communication.
- If able, develop ?how to? videos, webinars, hard-copy step-by-step instructions/directions on how to develop and utilize AEM. AT and/or AC.
- Provide direct ongoing support for referrals, assessments, programming, training, etc. to students, teachers/school teams, and/or families of Assistive/Accessible Technology or Augmentative Communication users.
- Engage in professional learning opportunities. For those who are able, consider offering/facilitating training for families, students, team members, etc.
- Review pre-existing ?caseload" and prioritize to connect and communicate with teachers and school teams to ensure that, as much as possible, Assistive Technology supports, resources and interventions can continue throughout this transition.
- Continue with related documentation and TIENET updates as needed.
- Provide professional support and guidance to AT Support Staff.
- Other related duties as assigned.
- Valid teacher certification for the Province of Nova Scotia;
- Completion of graduate level coursework in special education or a related field by December 31, 2021;
- Excellent classroom and student management skills;
- Knowledge and experience in the application of technologies used to enhance instruction and learning..
- Skills in communicating and working in collaborative partnerships for programming;
- Training or experience in supporting students with assistive technology, and/or augmentative and alternative communication.
Your application must include at least three (3) work-related references, one must be your most recent supervisor. All candidates short listed for interview will have references checked prior to being interviewed.
All employees of the Strait Regional Centre for Education must provide a current (within the last 3 months), and clear Criminal Record Check-Vulnerable Sector and Child Abuse Registry prior to employment with the Strait Regional Centre for Education.
The Strait Regional Centre for Education appreciates your interest for employment. Please note that only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Candidates can check on the status of their application in Successfactor under My Applications.
Job Segment: Teacher, Education