Date: July 19, 2021
Competition No: 202107-136
We invite applications for a: Full Time Communications Officer
Location: Peace Wapiti Public Schools, Central Office, Grande Prairie, Alberta
The Division: Peace Wapiti Public School Division provides comprehensive public education programs and services to approximately 5,300 Kindergarten to Grade Twelve students. Its educational enterprise is carried out in 36 schools in northwestern Alberta with an annual operating budget of approximately $84 million. Schools are located in the region's towns, villages and within the City of Grande Prairie. Peace Wapiti Public School Division has the third largest rural transportation system in Alberta, covering 43,500 kilometers per day.
The Region: The City of Grande Prairie is located 456 km northwest of Edmonton. The population of Grande Prairie is currently over 63,000, and the city is deemed to have one of the province's highest growth rates at 4.95% in the last five years. Grande Prairie offers a wide variety of sports, arts, culture, and well-equipped facilities for every interest. The area's economy is expected to continue to grow in this vibrant and exciting region known as the Peace Country.
Responsibilities and Duties to include but not limited to:
- Develop and manage a strategic plan for a social media platform for the Division;
- Write, edit and design Division promotional materials, news releases, newsletters, communication plans and reports and be instructional in developing and managing web content;
- Overall content manager for the Division's website;
- Additional communication functions include speech writing, media training, event planning, membership on designated committees, media clipping service, media relations, media spokesperson and marketing;
- Provides communications consultation services to all departments and the Division as well as support services to schools;
- Attend Board meetings and produce board notes from discussions and decisions;
- Act as a communications advisor to the Board;
- Manage the photo library, providing photographic services where required;
- Ensure protection of privacy of student information;
- Able to work non-traditional hours where required;
- Be knowledgeable and supportive of applicable administrative procedures and board policies;
- Undertakes tasks assigned by the Superintendent
- Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Journalism or Arts and related experience or equivalent and related experience may be considered;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Proficiency with various professional graphic design programs;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs;
- Experience with web page design and related software;
- Being self-motivated, able to meet deadlines, proactive, and complete tasks with a high degree of accuracy;
- Ability to use discretion and maintain confidentiality.
Peace Wapiti Public School Division offers an attractive and comprehensive compensation and benefit package. The salary range for this position is $55,000 to $81,000 annually, commensurate with education and experience.
Please forward your complete application package, including 3 references, via Isarta.
Closing Date: Open until a suitable candidate has been hired
For further information contact Kellie Lewis, Director of Human Resources at (780) 532-8133.
A current criminal records check is a requirement of employment. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
As an employer, Peace Wapiti Public School Division reserves the right to check internal and external references prior to an interview. By applying for a position with Peace Wapiti Public School Division, you are authorizing school division officials to contact individuals listed as references, or other individuals/organizations, regarding employment-related and/or professional information for the purpose of determining suitability, eligibility and qualifications for employment.