Date Posted: 07/26/2021
Req ID: 8461
Faculty/Division: VP & Provost
Department: Hart House
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Hart House is a centre for experiential education outside the classroom at the University of Toronto. Since it opened in 1919, Hart House functions as a place where students, faculty, staff, alumni and membersof the broader community connect with each other and the world. Through an array of co-curricular programming in the arts, dialogue and wellness, Hart House works with local and international partners to foster community and to create innovative learning opportunities for students. Hart House operates from a historic facility on the St. George campus, as well as a 150-acre farm in Caledon, Ontario, offering a wide range of services through a social enterprise model that generates revenue to support its student-focused programming on all three University of Toronto campuses.
The Marketing and Communications department develops and implements marketing and communication plans, strategies and tactics to support the strategic goals of Hart House. We promote Hart House's programming and services through Hart House owned and campus run media and channels as well as external media. Our primary areas of focus include supporting Learning and Community programming, Hart House Fitness Centre, Hart House Hospitality services and Hart House Theatre. In addition, we also provide support to the Warden's Office, Advancement, Staff Relations, Information HUB, Facilities and other areas of House as needed. We implement a wide range of marketing and communication strategies to build lasting connections with our diverse audience groups including students, faculty, staff, alumni, donors, clients, members and the broader community.
Under the supervision of Senior Director, Marketing, Communications and Information Services, the Manager, Marketing Communications, Learning and Community is responsible for developing and implementing targeted marketing and communications strategies to promote Hart House programs, events and initiatives with primary accountability as the marketing strategic lead for Learning and Community department. The incumbent collaborates extensively with the Manager, Marketing Communications, Sales and Programming, to develop work plans and workflows to ensure that the department delivers effective marketing programs and tactics supporting Hart House' strategic goals. The incumbent will, on an ongoing basis, interact with multi-level internal and external stakeholders to develop and deliver annual marketing communications plans and tactics to drive measurable results. This manager role has oversight on the development, design and content delivery of Hart House's website. This role also has oversight on all graphic design and videography output of Hart House's Marketing and Communications department. The incumbent will directly supervise two Communications Officers.
Your responsibilities will include:
Developing a comprehensive and integrated marketing strategy
- Developing and implementing marketing plans to promote programs, events and/or initiatives that support strategic objectives
- Developing outreach strategies that promote programs to students and the broader community
- Cultivating ongoing, high-profile prospective partnerships that advance strategic agendas
- Analyzing and recommending strategies to develop targeted marketing campaigns
- Liaising with clients to discuss requirements, core message and target audience
- Overseeing tasks related to the production and dissemination of communication/marketing materials
- Directing the activities of a group of staff-appointed employees all performing a similar function
Bachelor's Degree in Communications or Journalism or an acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum five years demonstrated experience: in developing and implementing multichannel, targeted communications and messaging strategies, including marketing and advertising campaigns in a higher education environment; developing and implementing marketing segmentation strategies is essential, including identifying actionable insights from data or audience analyses as available; demonstrated experience with budget development and management; strong people management experience, including coaching and motivating employees towards shared project goals, employing strong delegation and accountability systems amongst teams.
- Solid experience in strategic planning including experience in conducting environmental scans, competitive analyses, identifying and reporting metrics of success.
- Must have proven experience and understanding of the post-secondary education context, including student experience and student demographics, and be well versed in communications strategies to reach new and diverse student audiences, including underserved communities.
- Must have experience promoting the arts and wellness, including theatre shows and performances, and recreation and wellness offerings.
- Must have proven experience delivering and disseminating measurable results of strategies and tactics to internal and external audiences.
- Must have proven background with multimedia authoring tools, desktop publishing, layout and design, print productions, web applications and content management systems.
- Strong strategic influencing and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusiveness in team management and collaborative workplace practices, and in communications strategies.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, able to multi-task effectively.
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy in all work.
- Proven initiative, creativity and problem solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills in working with colleagues, students and other partners.
Experience in conceptualizing, developing and implementing all aspects of market research will be a key asset; including methodology planning, questionnaires/survey development and delivery, data analysis and reporting.
- Familiarity and experience on promoting programming, events to youth groups, especially those within underserved communities.
To be successful in this role you will be:
Closing Date: 08/09/2021, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget
Schedule: Full-Time Regular daytime schedule. Occasional overtime and weekends.
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 15
- $84,316 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $107,826. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations
Recruiter: Anita Chooraman