This position is responsible for brand planning, developing and executing multi-year marketing strategies and plans, measuring and reporting marketing campaign effectiveness, annual budgeting and operational planning, and managing the team involved in design, production and execution of marketing materials and activities.
1. Provides leadership in multi-year brand and marketing strategic planning:
a. Develops and leads brand planning from audit to ongoing integration for the College; this planning is inclusive of brand identity, positioning, the definition of target audiences/personas and multi-channel marketing mix development, with the goal of building the College's brand awareness and reputation.
b. Develops regular competitive overviews and assessments.
c. Develops comprehensive, multi-year marketing strategies and plans, in alignment with the College's overall strategic plan, to support student recruitment and retention.
d. Measures and reports on marketing campaign effectiveness with outside research vendor and in collaboration with the Manager, Digital Strategy, and assesses returns on marketing program investments.
e. Identifies, engages and manages key external vendor relationships, in accordance with College procurement policies, and manages ongoing contract maintenance.
f. Collaborates with the Executive Director and Manager, Digital Strategy, Manager, Communications and in accordance with College strategic plans and policies, to develop annual departmental objectives, operational plans, capital expenses, and related performance measures.
g. Develops and manages annual budgets and monthly forecasts in line with College's budget directives for marketing activities.
2. Provides direction for creating and managing the production of communications and marketing materials for the College:
a. Manages the production of traditional and digital assets for the College, in collaboration with the Manager, Digital Strategy.
b. Provides artistic and creative vision, establishes and implements College policy and standards for all events, print and digital marketing.
c. Ensures that marketing and communications projects are completed while using methods congruent with College and government policies.
d. Ensures that all College materials and events are produced in a timely, efficient and effective manner within the assigned budget.
e. Provides recommendations regarding work flow policies, procedures and standards for the Marketing and Communications area.
f. Monitors the visual identity and brand image expression for all College events and materials.
g. Ensures that marketing services are consistent and of the highest professional quality as identified by industry, College policy and brand standards.
h. Advises the College community regarding the College policy and standards related to brand in traditional and digital mediums.
i. Ensures that technology and tools used to produce College materials are efficient and congruent with industry standards.
3. Responsible for managing the activities of project teams in the production of marketing/communications projects:
a. Supervises, project manages and assigns staff in producing College marketing and communications materials and participates in the recruitment, promotion, evaluation, training and development, and performance management of staff within the scope defined by College policy and the Collective Agreements.
b. Directs, schedules, and assigns duties to staff, and reviews work for accuracy and completeness.
c. Efficiently allocates human resources to complete all projects, including determining the need for asks in a strategic manner. Ensures continuous client service during team member absences.
d. Project manages and evaluates the progress of communication and marketing projects that are generated by the Department.
e. Ensures that new employees receive orientation and ongoing professional development.
f. Establishes and maintains effective union/management relationships and works with union representatives to resolve problems effectively, and represent management in complaints and grievances.
g. Promotes a harmonious working environment that encourages innovation and creativity.
4. External Liaison:
a. May represent Marketing and Communications in relevant internal and external committees; liaise with other post-secondary institutions, outside agencies, and organizations.
b. May act on behalf of and as a back up to the Executive Director, as required.
5. Performs other related duties/projects, as required by the Executive Director.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Marketing, Communications, or Design; or a related discipline.
- Five (5) years recent related experience in an integrated communications and marketing environment, including client services/account management and experience managing others.
- Experience in higher education marketing and communications, an asset.
- PMP certification or other project management training, an asset
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of branding, marketing, communications, and public relations principles, strategies, techniques, and concepts.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of marketing communications project management tools, including creative briefs, work backs, and marketing plans.
- Demonstrated ability to use applicable software applications, such as MS Office Suite and knowledge of design software, such as InDesign and Photoshop.
- Demonstrated advanced writing, proofreading and editing skills for different types of media with a strong attention to detail for design, content, and brand, and accuracy.
- Exhibit effective presentation and public speaking skills.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work and communicate with internal/external clients and colleagues, in a respectful, consultative, and client service-oriented manner, and to foster ongoing relationships with the College executives, deans, directors, department heads and other decision-makers.
- Demonstrated ability to oversee the production of quality and creative marketing communications solutions to meet the College's strategic goals and client's needs on time and within budget.
- Exhibit effective project management, strategic planning, budgeting and organizational skills, with knowledge of data-driven communication and marketing planning principles and practices.
- Demonstrated ability to innovate, think critically, problem-solve, take initiative, exercise tact and diplomacy.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under pressure and meet multiple deadlines within a fast-paced work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to optimize the most cost effective utilization of resources across competing projects, providing accurate budget estimates and monitoring the budget.
- Demonstrated ability to supervise, motivate, and lead employees.
- Exhibit ability to maintain confidentiality.
- $118,178 annualized (Pay Grid 11). Normal starting salary placement is between $80,576
- $107,434. Compensation beyond the control/mid-point requires approval by the Public Sector Employer's Council Secretariat (PSEC).
Type of Position
MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS
Is this posting only for internal applicants?
Desired Start Date
Position End Date
Vacation Blackout Dates
Number of Hours per Week
- Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm
Eligible for Fortnight
Special Instructions to Applicant
Posting Open Date
Posting Close Date
Is this a pooled posting?