- City Centre Campus
City Center Campus Jobs, Full-Time / Students' Association of MacEwan University (SAMU) / City Centre Campus (CCC) /
Posted: August 24, 2021
Job Category | Full-Time
Salary | $40,000
- $50,000 per annum
Location of Work | City Centre Campus (CCC), Edmonton, AB
Posting expires: September 7, 2021 at 4:00pm (MST)
The Students' Association of MacEwan University (SAMU) is a non-profit organization working independently from MacEwan University to support students. Our purpose is to enrich the student experience by focusing on their non-academic needs through an array of student-driven programs and services.
We are governed by elected student representatives who set the strategic vision on behalf of students. With support from over 50 full- and part-time staff, we keep our mandate student-focused to achieve the vision.
The Students' Association of MacEwan University will be a strong advocate, exceptional resource, and a clear voice for the MacEwan University student. We will have one aim
- to create a one of a kind university experience by recognizing the student as our greatest asset and inspiration.
The purpose of the Graphic Designer position is to support operations by collaborating with staff to conceptualize, create, ensure brand consistency and implement design solutions.
Summary of Responsibilities
- Create various kinds of digital and print marketing (internal and external) materials from concept to final artwork, develop design solutions for organizational needs.
- Prepare all files for print or digital production and liaise with print company representative as needed.
- Ensure all marketing collateral meets SAMU brand standards and will relate to the applicable audience.
Meeting and Project Planning:
- Provide recommendations and solutions for marketing requests.
- Attend department meetings, brainstorming sessions and keep abreast of all upcoming projects and campaigns through Basecamp project management platform.
- Research professional development opportunities and maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills
- Photograph SAMU events, programs and services as needed
- Other duties/projects as assigned
- Being accountable for one's own actions and those of colleagues and the organization.
- The ability to remain fully functional by adapting to changing circumstances (environment, procedures, people).
- The ability and willingness to find out what the student wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organization's costs and benefits into account.
- Independently carrying out one's work in accordance with professional standards of one's profession. Developing oneself in one's professional field. Having a thorough knowledge of one's field.
- The ability to come up with original and innovative ideas and solutions, to adopt points of view outside the usual parameters.
- The ability to detect problems, recognize important information, and link various data; to trace potential causes and look for relevant details.
Attention to Detail- The ability to process detailed information effectively and consistently.
Education and Experience
- A degree or diploma in Visual Communications, Graphic Design or equivalent
- Minimum 1-2 years of experience with a portfolio
Position Specific Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of pre-press production and printing techniques
- Knowledge in both print design and designing for web/social media
- Advanced knowledge in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop
- Strong knowledge of typography and colour theory
- Experience working with and following brand/graphic standards
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Ability to process large volumes of work and meet deadlines with limited supervision
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Ability to process and implement constructive feedback
Other Position Assets
- Skills in photography
- Skills in illustration
- Skills in video production and editing
- Skills in animation or motion graphics
Light Effort, Sedentary
Terms of Employment
The full-time position features full health and dental benefits (after a three month period) and a great working environment. Regular work hours are between 8:30 am
- 4:30 pm. Although rare, there are times when some weekend and evening work is required.
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, SAMU has used a hybrid working model that blends work from home and in- office operations (when necessary) based on specific job requirements and continued, uninterrupted access to essential services for students.
SAMU provides necessary equipment to accommodate effectively working both at home, and in the SAMU building when a hybrid model is in effect.
SAMU is currently operating in- office.
Please address your application to Carl Knowler, Director of Marketing and Communications. Please attach both your resume, cover letter and link to your portfolio in the application.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.