Requisition ID: 32053
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the x?m??k??y??m (Musqueam), S?wx?wú7mesh (Squamish), and s?lilw?ta? (Tsleil-Waututh), Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world's most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
As part of the ongoing strategic work of the Civic Engagement and Communications department, the Social Media Coordinator provides specialized work in coordinating and monitoring social media sites and developing and recommending social media standards.
- In collaboration with client departments and the Civic Engagement and Communications management team, evaluates social media requirements; advises clients on content and presentation; defines process and required resources; recommends solutions and alternatives;
- Monitors social media channels through the City's main Hootsuite account for content compliance with editorial guidelines and standards, usability and accessibility; recommends enhancements as appropriate;
- Provides information and guidance on corporate standards to staff and consultants engaged in social media channels; provides or recommends staff training as appropriate; provides front-line help desk support in troubleshooting and responding to social media channel problems;
- Assists in posting engaging content; provides a single tone and voice for City social media
- Assists in onboarding new social media accounts. This includes working with Managers to identify account objectives, assessing staff ability to post, setting up accounts, organizing passwords, and training staff as needed.
- Liaises with technical specialists and the web team on technical and operational processes related to social media platform integration and works with same on the resolution of development and support issues
- Organizes meetings for the CoV social media community of practice
- Researches, tests, assesses and recommends best practices, trends, new standards and tools related to social media, usability and accessibility; develops and recommends standards and tools; re-evaluates standards based on new developments in social media; stays current on social media trends.
Analysis and reporting
- Assists in benchmarking and tracking effectiveness of social media campaigns & gathering data for regular reporting;
- Researches, tracks analytics, and prepares reports on project/issue-specific social media activity;
- Recommends useful metrics & uses appropriate tools to track reputation/sentiments and analyze & deliver key insights to managers;
- Monitors/tracks brand-related social media activity and responds in a timely manner to ensure and maintain positive presence.
- Provides graphic design support for social media channels and other online environments; designs graphic elements and integrates images; develops templates for client departments
- Ensures the web standards developed by the Web Team are maintained across all of the City's online presence.
Minimum Position Requirements
Education and Experience:
- Completion of an educational program (certificate or diploma) in a field related to communications, journalism or marketing
- 3 or more years' experience in social media coordination, web writing, digital graphic design, public engagement
- An equivalent combination of education and experience will also be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The successful candidate must have:
- Strong experience, on top of current trends, and active posting with standard social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and YouTube) and demonstrated passion for social media as a whole;
- Extremely personable and engaging, able to project a personality through online channels;
- Strong and engaging writing skills, passion for creating interesting and engaging web content;
- Strong digital design skills; creative flair, originality and a strong visual sense
- Organized, detail-oriented and able to multi-task
- Familiarity with content management systems, web analytics preferred
- Experience in training an asset
Other requirements include:
- Knowledge of Hootsuite Enterprise, Hootsuite University graduate.
- Experience of other media / social media monitoring tools considered an asset;
- Knowledge of local government;
- Strong computer and graphic software knowledge including Adobe inDesign, Adobe Photoshop, web page editing, or equivalent computer applications;
- Demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of inter-disciplinary work teams, and to work within defined timelines is essential;
- Able to take initiative, but accepting of feedback and guidance
- Experience working with multicultural communities would be an asset.
- Second language (Simplified Chinese, Punjabi) an asset
Business Unit/Department : Office of the City Manager (1010)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Regular Full Time
Position Start Date: September, 2021
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-024: $37.92 to $44.78 per hour
Application Close: September 3, 2021
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, LGBT2Q+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To be considered for this exciting and impactful career opportunity with a generous benefits package, please apply on our careers site.