The Office of Administration within VP Research invites applications for a Manager, Marketing and Communications. This Full-time Fixed Term position is for approximately 1 year (based on length of grant funding), with the possibility of extension.
Reporting to the Executive Director of the Hunter Hub, and working collaboratively with central units as well as all innovation organizations and faculties of the university, the Manager, Marketing and Communications will devise and execute a strategic marketing and communications plan to raise the profile of the Hunter Hub and innovation activities at UCalgary.
The Manager will lead a team to create, communicate and deliver impactful and inspiring community communications and content that promote the University's innovators and activities in entrepreneurial thinking and innovation.
As a key ambassador for the ecosystem, the incumbent will be an expert in the innovation community at UCalgary, and integral to developing both internal and external communications and building community relationships in support of the Hunter Hub and the university's overall entrepreneurial thinking and innovation initiatives. The Manager, Marketing and Communications will also be a key contributor into the Hunter Hub's program and partnership strategies including working with staff members and volunteers on communications and content for programs, events, and competitions, etc., as well as managing key stakeholder relationships and partnership agreements, budgets and reports.
Summary of Key Responsibilities (job functions include but are not limited to):
Integrated Marketing Communications Strategy
- Define strategic positioning and develop a strategic marketing communications plan to raise the profile of the Hunter Hub and the university innovation community. Devise key personas and strategies for each key stakeholder group to ensure we reach a diversity of students, researchers, staff, faculty and alumni from different disciplines and backgrounds with our communications and content.
- Work with the Hunter Hub leadership and team to design, build and deliver an annual calendar of entrepreneurial thinking and innovation communications and content for our programming and initiatives, which may involve one or more faculties or partner organizations.
- Manage the Hunter Hub communication channels and liaise/coordinate with diverse faculty marketing and communications teams for the promotion of entrepreneurial thinking, innovation activities and to amplify innovators across the ecosystem and beyond as role models to inspire others.
- Contribute to the development of high impact communications plans with internal/external partners for all initiatives and coordinate their implementation working alongside the appropriate person(s) within the Hunter Hub team or externally.
- Lead a project to refresh and reorganize the Hunter Hub website ensuring it is the 'front door' for all things entrepreneurial at the university.
- Grow the University's brand in entrepreneurial thinking through creating and marketing cutting edge content (i.e. articles, videos, case studies, etc.) that amplifies UCalgary's innovators, thought leadership in entrepreneurial thinking and innovation, and related initiatives.
- Source and negotiate services with external vendors and volunteers to create materials as needed.
- Support the Hunter Hub team to develop interesting, inspiring innovation events such as event series, hackathons and experiential learning events with different faculties, organizations, and experts.
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Business, entrepreneurship, communications and/or education background with one or more university degrees in these fields, and is passionate about entrepreneurship and innovation. A Master's degree is an asset.
- 7+ years operations, media relations and/or stakeholder relations experience. Demonstrated expertise in leading integrated marketing communications strategy and a marketing communications team. Experience building websites an asset.
- Experience with fundraising and working with corporate or other donors is an asset.
- Collaborative relationship builder with exceptionally strong interpersonal and communication skills. Experience with cross-faculty communications, initiatives, and/or partnerships in an academic environment is an advantage.
- Experience managing budgets and ensuring fiscal responsibility.
- In-depth knowledge of local innovation ecosystems.
- Knowledge and understanding of University plans and policies, as well as structure, governance, and decision-making processes is an asset. Understanding of human resource management and supervisory experience is required.
Application Deadline: September 28, 2021
We would like to thank all applicants in advance for submitting their resumes. Please note, only those candidates chosen to continue on through the selection process will be contacted.
This position is classified in the Management and Professional Career Band, Level I of the Management and Professional Staff Career Framework.
To find out more about management and staff opportunities at the University of Calgary and all we have to offer, view our Management and Staff Careers website.
About the University of Calgary
- a living, growing and youthful institution that embraces change and opportunity with a can-do attitude. Located in the nation's most enterprising city, the university is making tremendous progress on its Eyes High journey to be recognized as one of Canada's top five research universities, grounded in innovative learning and teaching and fully integrated with the community it both serves and leads. The University of Calgary inspires and supports discovery, creativity and innovation across all disciplines. For more information, visit ucalgary.ca.
The University of Calgary has launched an institution-wide Indigenous Strategy in line with the foundational goals of Eyes High, committing to creating a rich, vibrant, and culturally competent campus that welcomes and supports Indigenous Peoples, encourages Indigenous community partnerships, is inclusive of Indigenous perspectives in all that we do.
The University of Calgary recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research experiences of the entire campus and greater community. We are committed to removing barriers that have been historically encountered by some people in our society. We strive to recruit individuals who will further enhance our diversity and will support their professional success while they are here. We encourage all qualified applicants to apply, however preference will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada.