- Non Union
JOB PROFILEAAPS Salaried
- Information Services, Level A
Job TitleEngagement and Communications Coordinator
DEPARTMENTCommunications | Community Development | Public Engagement
- $7,294.50 CAD Monthly
Posting End DateOctober 8, 2021
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date Sep 30, 2023
- Community Planning (C+CP) is responsible for the planning of the Vancouver campus, both the academic core and the growing residential neighbourhoods, as well as strategic planning for the Okanagan campus. Planning activities include land use, sustainability, transportation and infrastructure planning, campus and urban design, heritage and public realm planning, and community services planning in addition to consultation and engagement.
C+CP is committed to engaging with the community to inform planning processes. The Engagement Charter, adopted by the Board of Governors, gives clarity and transparency to how we define, design, implement and conclude public engagement in our land use and community planning processes.
The Engagement and Communications Coordinator is a professional position within Campus and Community Planning's Public Engagement team. The coordinator will assist with C+CP outreach and engagement activities through the development and execution of various communications, including but not limited to, social media graphics, digital signage, website content and the distribution of communication toolkits. The coordinator will also assist in planning and delivering events to support a range of engagement initiatives.
The primary focus of this role will be to support the engagement and communication goals of Campus Vision 2050
- a comprehensive campus-wide, land use planning process for the Vancouver campus that is being led by C+CP. This 2.5 year long-term planning process will launch in early 2022. It is an important opportunity to plan for the evolving needs and aspirations of the university and its community, including UBC's deepening relationship with Musqueam while tackling timely local, regional and global imperatives including housing affordability, reconciliation, climate change, connectivity and community wellbeing.
Communications plays an important role in ensuring that engagement with UBC's diverse campus communities
- including Musqueam, faculty, students, staff, neighbourhood residents, and alumni
- are respectful and align with UBC and C+CP's commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion.
This position will report to C+CP's Communications Manager with a dotted reporting line to the Engagement Manager. They will work closely with the Campus Vision 2050 team while also supporting the C+CP Public Engagement team.
- Develops and distributes promotional materials (from concept to publish/print) across the University and wider community.
- Plans and manages advertising and paid social media campaigns.
- Co-ordinates engagement outreach through the planning, hosting and delivery of engagement events.
- Researches, writes and/or coordinates content for student, staff, faculty and resident audiences, including, but not limited to people and project profiles, announcements, educational and informational posts and stories.
- Creates/writes content for social channels, including photography, illustrations, video clips, blog posts, as aligned with wider communication initiatives and/or campaigns;
- Develops communication toolkits to distribute to campus partners;
- Works closely with the Manager, Communications to plan and manage the C+CP editorial calendar including content creation.
- Produces photography and video content as needed and identified in communication plans;
- Liaises with internal and external production and media service providers.
- Ensures all communications meet accessibility standards.
- Develops promotional materials and visual assets, such as: digital signage, social media graphics, posters, postcards and presentations.
- Ensures all designs are in line with the UBC brand standards and with attention to audience needs.
- Creates design briefs for external vendors when outsourcing is needed and manages contracts with vendors.
Website Content and Co-ordination
- Conducts digital analytics (for both web and social platforms) to ensure proper evaluation of work and constant improvement, ongoing optimization of tracking and implementing changes.
- Conducts regular website audits to identify required updates and collaborates with subject matter experts on content revisions and updates.
- Manages website by creating new pages and sections and revising existing content.
This position may require work outside normal working hours, and the ability to work remotely from time to time.
Performs other related duties as required.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
This position will report to C+CP's Communications Manager with a dotted reporting line to the Engagement Manager.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Minimum four years of related experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in the field of communications, graphic design, digital media, marketing, journalism, public relations, preferred;
- Demonstrated experience of working with social media and websites in an organizational/corporate environment.
- Experience using content management systems.
- Ability to adapt writing styles for different audiences and purposes.
- Demonstrated ability for graphic design in an organization setting, and using Adobe Creative Cloud suite.
- Strong technical know-how or willingness to learn some or all of the following: photography, video, video-editing.
- Exceptional writing abilities, being able to translate complex information for a general audience in concise, efficient, and engaging copy.
- Event planning experience an asset
- Ability to accurately proof read for spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Experience embedding best practices of accessibility and inclusion into communications an asset. Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy, when working with confidential and sensitive information.
- Accuracy and attention to detail and an ability to work independently and assess own performance.
- Exercises good judgment and maturity in all communications.
- International Association of Public Participation (IAP2) training an asset.