Date Posted: 09/14/2021
Req ID: 16353
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering
Department: Department of Chemical Engineering & Applied Chemistry
Campus: St. George (Downtown Toronto)
Our world is facing unprecedented challenges in fields from the environment and human health to climate change and sustainable energy. The University of Toronto's Department of Chemical Engineering & Applied Chemistry is one of the most research-intensive departments in North America, with an outstanding international reputation. Our vision statement, ?Through leading edge research and education we integrate chemistry, biology and engineering to drive solutions for global challenges in energy, the environment and health' reinforces our commitment to both research and education. Our Department is also well known for its team spirit, including a community of over 30 professors, 400 undergraduates, 250 graduate students and over 40 outstanding support and research staff.
If you're a passionate and dedicated individual, our department offers opportunities with potential for growth and development!
Our leadership team provides an open, professional environment that fosters a culture built on respect, goal orientation, self-motivation, accountability and teamwork. We believe in recognizing and valuing our employee's contributions to the advancement of the department's goals while promoting a strong commitment to work-life balance among our employees.
Under the general direction of the Manager, External Relations, the incumbent will support the goals and priorities of the Department of Chemical Engineering & Applied Chemistry.
Your responsibilities will include:
Implementing communication plans that support outreach goals and objectives.
- Producing promotional and outreach materials.
- Editing content for brochures, newsletters, websites and/or handbooks.
- Researching and writing news stories for assigned channels.
- Promoting events and programs to target audiences.
- Creating and maintaining presence on social media platforms.
- Determining logistical details and activities for events and/or programming.
- Booking speakers for program events.
Bachelor's Degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or a related field or an acceptable combination of equivalent experience.
- Minimum three (3) years of related communications experience.
- Event planning experience.
- Excellent communication (oral and written).
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Strong proofreading, editing, researching and analytical skills.
- Ability to balance competing priorities and meet deadlines.
- Strong organizational, planning and troubleshooting skills.
- Demonstrated initiative; ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Well-developed computer skills, including experience with MS Office, spreadsheet and database software, website management (Word Press is preferred) and desktop publishing systems (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and Dreamweaver).
Education in engineering or science.
- Familiarity with the Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering.
- Experience coordinating data requests from staff in Research Services and colleagues trained in Data Cube, Arbor, ROSI and U of T financial systems.
To be successful in this role you will be:
Closing Date: 10/01/2021, 11:59PM ET
Employee Group: USW
Appointment Type: Budget
Pay Scale Group & Hiring Zone:
USW Pay Band 10
- $62,464 with an annual step progression to a maximum of $79,879. Pay scale and job class assignment is subject to determination pursuant to the Job Evaluation/Pay Equity Maintenance Protocol.
Job Category: Communication/Media/Public Relations