ALES Sustainability Council
Sep 29, 2021
Oct 13, 2021
This competition is open to all applicants however internal candidates and applicants who were former employees of the University of Alberta in the past 18 months will be given priority consideration before external candidates. Please indicate your internal status using the "Advertisement" drop down menu when applying.
This appointment is for a duration of one year. This position is expected to work 35 hours/week for the entire term of employment.
Join our amazing team!
The Sustainability Council's mission is to uplift people and planet. We are doing this by growing a vibrant community engaged in interdisciplinary teaching, learning, research and active citizenship at the University of Alberta. We host speaking events and conferences, promote curricular programs, support research, provide opportunities for student leadership, and spark interest in sustainability issues.
Support for Project Planning and Delivery
- Support the planning and delivery of key outreach and engagement events/programs, such as (but not limited to): Week of Welcome/Orientation, Open House, Sustainability Awareness Week, International Week Keynote, and Campus Sustainability Leaders Awards.
- Execute logistical coordination for the delivery of programs and events (venue booking, equipment, send out invitations, catering and other logistics for events).
- Provide promotional support for events/programs.
- Research information related to existing and new programs.
- Support the Certificate in Sustainability (CIS) Coordinator with CIS administration and student engagement (e.g. documentation management, student correspondence, graduation checks and approvals, delivering CIS student information sessions and other engagement activities).
- Provide general administrative support for the office.
- Review, investigate and answer routine inquiries and re-direct inquiries based on understanding of the request, the programs in question, and the appropriate responder (telephone and email inquiries).
- Serve as the initial contact providing front line customer service to all visitors to the office.
- Maintain contact lists.
- Provide mail/courier coordination and distribution (incoming and outgoing).
- Order and maintain office supplies.
- Operate and maintain all office equipment (includes outreach equipment like hand carts, wagons, sandwich boards, etc).
- Create office maintenance schedules and sign-up sheets.
- Update the unit's operations manual, as needed.
- Coordinate and schedule the use of SC tools such as banners and laptops.
- Manage meeting spaces and their affiliated calendars.
- Provide logistical support for meetings and events; this includes material preparation, set-up, take-down and final re-organization within a space.
- Schedule select meetings in calendars and create doodle polls.
- Liaise with campus staff (IST, telecom, distribution, facilities and campus security) regarding issues and inquiries.
- Process internal work requests and forms (vehicle booking, lock change and key request, work requests, etc).
- Manage office keys and alarm system requests.
- Filing, photocopying, scanning, printing and faxing.
- Data entry (ballots, feedback forms, newsletter sign-ups).
- Distribute and reconcile gift card inventory.
- Manage petty cash.
- Assist with the onboarding of new staff and/or interns.
- Assist with the human resources administration of interns and volunteers.
- Support the SC Volunteer Program and the Sustainable Development Goals Student Alliance mostly with administrative aspects.
- Take, review and distribute agendas and meeting minutes for select meetings.
- Provide back-up support when needed (e.g. vacation and time off coverage support).
- Perform other administrative duties, as required.
- A degree in a field related to sustainability or postsecondary diploma in administration or project/event management preferred; equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered; minimum High School Diploma
- Minimum of 2 years of related office experience.
- Ability to work independently, balancing overlapping event deadlines and administrative duties.
- Effective, detail oriented, very well organized, self-motivated, personable and positive.
- Excellent communicator, in person and in writing.
- Openness to receiving constructive feedback and learning.
- Ability to establish efficient work systems and manage multiple projects and competing deadlines.
- Ability to interact professionally with faculty, staff, students and external stakeholders.
- Excellent computer skills.
While the following are not required, they are useful assets for this position:
- Knowledge of sustainability, sustainable development, sustainable development goals, and University of Alberta sustainability initiatives.
- Experience with post-secondary institutions or a large corporate or government environment.
How to Apply
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.