Will remain open until filled.
Do you love diving into data sets? Are you energized by the opportunity to translate insights into action that deliver measurable business results? If yes, read on. As the Director of Marketing Insights & Analytics, you will use your boundless curiosity and data analytic experience to synthesize multiple sources of data and translate complex results into simple conclusions and clear insights. These insights will have a meaningful influence on the University of Alberta's business and marketing strategy and will enable our marketing team to resonate with key audiences and deliver sustainable results for the university.
Reporting to Associate Vice President of Marketing, we are seeking a leader for our Marketing Research & Insights practise
- the single source of truth about the customer for the University of Alberta. In collaboration with the Marketing leadership team, the successful candidate will not only lead a team of talented researchers, but also be responsible for building their team based on a strategic service model.
This role requires an innovative approach, strategic thinking and a long-term vision and is central to the U of A's evolution towards customer insights and data driven marketing. The Director of Marketing Research & Insights will be an expert in analytics and develop intimate knowledge of all our end users through comprehensive data collection and advance analysis performance and provide recommendations for improvement.
In all facets of this role, the Director endeavors to integrate and advance the University's commitments to equity, diversity and inclusivity.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Using diverse research methods to provide clarity of thought around defining various audiences, what motivates them, and apply our understanding to marketing, communications, products/services, events, fundraising and program strategies that affect all our audiences, faculty and team members
- Collaborating with External Relations leadership to cultivate and strategically implement data-driven ideas to grow user engagement, share insights, support strategic decision making, establishing best practises and processes.
- Managing the research team and developing an engaging vision and purpose for the team, maintaining a world-class research practise
- Advising internal clients and partners on research methodologies for developing insights, creative testing, campaign performance, etc.
- Ensuring timely and accurate reports are prepared for internal partners
- Developing and leading projects to build research computing assets and resources to ensure long-term research capacity
- Understanding our users and identifying opportunities for growth and optimization at every stage of their lifecycle
- Conducting competitive analysis and gap analysis as the user data expert
- Overseeing social listening, monitoring, and reporting
- Building clean, concise and digestible visualizations and dashboards
- Conducting post-campaign analysis and reporting output that evaluates campaigns Collaborating deeply across the university, specifically with our Central Data team, and provide insights to
- External Relations departments, the Provost, Registrar's Office and Office of the President
- Overseeing reporting to all internal and external clients to ensure they receive relevant, useful, and accurate
- information that facilitates managerial and strategic decision making
- Integrating consumer insights and analytics into brand stories, opportunities and business propositions
- Conducting sophisticated analytics to gain deeper cause-and-effect insight into business performance and initiatives, including operations and growth and revenue development category activities
- Supporting and developing the talents and competencies of staff by setting clear performance expectations,
- providing feedback, coaching and recognizing performance
- Creating an environment that encourages and champions innovation, change, new methods, approaches and novel solutions
To be successful in this position, the incumbent will possess the following experience, knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Undergraduate degree in research analytics, marketing, business, or related area is required. A combination of experience and education may also be considered
- 10 or more years experience in the design, implementation, and analysis of insights generation strategies
- 3 or more years of Leadership experience in a large and complex organization
- Direct experience with development data management, big data and visualization tools and technology
- A strong background in concepting and executing qualitative and quantitative research across all disciplines (focus groups, online, phone, usability testing, A/B testing, journey mapping, service blueprints, building personas etc.)
- Demonstrated success in building a team of hybrid researchers
- Proficient in quantitative and qualitative methodologies
- Well-versed in analyzing data to uncover true "actionable" insights
- Client-side experience working in research is preferred. Supplier side experience is a strong asset.
- Experience in social listening monitoring analysis, insights, and synthesizing for action
- A deep and self-sustaining curiosity and eagerness to learn
- Strong ability to create action with our insights by providing the right insights at the right time, combined with a holistic view of the customer (operational
- experience data)
- Considerable experience managing vendor contracts
- Excellent interpersonal, collaboration, networking and relationship building skills
- Superior organizational, analytical, communication and problem-solving skills
- Proven ability to lead, mentor, coach and manage staff to meet organizational goals
In accordance with the Handbook of Employment for Management and Professional Staff (Excluded), this full-time continuing position offers a comprehensive benefits package that can be viewed at Faculty & Staff Benefits and annual salary range of $83,138
How to Apply
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. If suitable Canadian citizens or permanent residents cannot be found, other individuals will be considered. The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.