We are a resolutely forward-thinking Crown corporation. We have developed a rebuild plan that extends through 2025 to support us in our mission of transforming Canadians’ journeys by creating smarter ways to travel. We want Canadians to rediscover the joy of travelling and, in doing so, help build a better economic, social and environmental future. To get there, we are relying on the lifeblood of our company: our employees. The quality of the customer experience they deliver day after day sets us apart in the transportation industry.
You are an organized, precise and detail-oriented person and want to join a team of genuine and committed people.
Reporting to the Director, Public Affairs and Government Relations, the Coordinator, Government and Community Relations is part of a small team that serves as a reference for government and community relations at the federal, provincial and municipal levels. The incumbent will be required to maintain a working knowledge of the legislative framework, public policy, and the public context of VIA Rail’s activities. As a member of a team that collaborates strategically with other VIA Rail divisions to achieve short-, medium- and long-term goals, the incumbent will work in a dynamic environment, will occasionally be required to work during train trips and must be capable of adapting to changing conditions.
- Contribute to the implementation of a strategic government and community relations program that supports VIA Rail’s objectives and reputation;
- Support the Public Affairs team in its relationships with governments, communities, stakeholders and other partners in the rail sector to ensure that communications are strategic and consistent;
- Coordinate and implement activities with colleagues from all sectors of the Corporation to design communication plans for the public and elected officials concerning construction and maintenance programs;
- Update information management systems on a daily basis, specifically for stakeholder relationship management;
- Assist in the timely and efficient production of VIA Rail communications intended for all stakeholders, including letters, briefing notes and presentations;
- Conduct media monitoring to identify opportunities and potential issues that could have an impact on the Corporation’s reputation or goals;
- Support the Public Affairs team by efficiently applying best practices in communications.
- University degree in political science, administration, communications or management, or a combination of education and relevant professional experience;
- Excellent spoken and written proficiency in English and French;
- Minimum of 2 years of relevant experience;
- Knowledge of decision-making processes and structures at all levels of government;
- Knowledge of best practices in media monitoring;
- Strong knowledge of information technologies (Microsoft Office suite, Outlook, SharePoint, PowerPoint);
- Knowledge of customer relationship management (CRM) tools;
- Willingness to travel within Canada occasionally;
- Ability to work evenings and weekends for events or emergencies, as required.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities at the same time and remain calm under pressure;
- Excellent judgment, aptitude for analysis, synthesis, interpersonal relationships and communication;
- Sense of partnership and team spirit;
- Initiative, independence, curiosity, creativity and flexibility;
- Attention to detail and precision;
- Excellent organizational skills to manage multiple simultaneous demands, set priorities, manage stress and allocate time effectively to meet tight deadlines.
THE ADVANTAGES OF WORKING FOR VIA RAIL:
- A workplace who fosters health and well-being for all our employees.
- A wide range of health and wellness benefits for you and your family, including an unlimited access to a telemedicine service.