Join the country's most trusted environmental organization and become a force for good!
About the David Suzuki Foundation
Always grounded in sound evidence, the David Suzuki Foundation empowers people to act in their communities on the environmental challenges we collectively face. Through evidence-based research, policy analysis, education and citizen empowerment, we conserve and protect the natural environment to create a sustainable Canada.
Our mission is to protect nature's diversity and the well-being of all life, now and for the future. Our vision is that we all act every day on the understanding that we are one with nature #OneNature.
You can learn more about us at www.davidsuzuki.org
The David Suzuki Foundation hires on the basis of merit and is strongly committed to equality and diversity within its community and to a welcoming and inclusive workplace. We especially welcome applications from Indigenous persons, visible minority group members, women, persons with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Position Title: Graphic Designer
Terms: Full-time 1-year term (34 hours/ 4-day week)
Location: Based at our Vancouver Office, with remote work during the pandemic.
Reporting to: Director of Communications
Salary: 40-50k, based on experience
- Are you a talented graphic designer who loves working for Nature and the Environmental Issues of our times?
- Are you passionate about graphic design in order to engage, inspire and motivate DSF audiences and communities to take action?
- Do you want to work with a team of exceptionally talented and bright people to make a real difference in the world?
You and the Job
We are a group of exceptionally talented, bright and passionate people working to make a difference. We're looking for a creative, highly organized, motivated and collaborative Graphic Designer who will play a critical role in the success of our communications and digital team.
You are a positive, creative person who brings new design perspectives to our online and print voice, visual identity and overall brand. You comfortably support and execute design content and initiatives for our key social media and online channels, including our website, email channels, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn accounts.
You help build awareness of our brand, narrative and vision to help drive largely digital acquisition, retention, engagement, awareness and donations. You possess excellent graphic design and marketing skills as well as proven expertise in brand identity.
You have an intellectual curiosity for emerging technologies, enjoy staying on top of design and digital trends and are passionate about creating content to help raise awareness and online engagement across all our digital and social channels.
You are an intuitive designer and a master at communicating visually with an online audience across a variety of print and digital channels in a consistent, strong and engaging voice, while taking into account our brand identity as well as the diverse needs of our audiences and the broad goals of our organization.
You enjoy creating designs that spark interest and dialogue, and that will inspire action.
Your knowledge of campaigns, current environmental issues, social justice causes and current events allows you to respond and develop creative, relevant, inspiring and insightful designs tailored to different audience profiles in a timely manner.
You are a valued and essential team member with a broad knowledge of graphic and creative design fundamentals, a track record of producing creative, inspiring and shareable content, and an excellent working knowledge of multiple design and digital platforms and tools.
Your Responsibilities :
- Brainstorm, conceptualize, plan and design compelling content for multiple print and online channels, including social, web and email.
- Provide creative input and visual recommendations for campaign and project work
- Source high quality images and videos
- Modify and update existing materials
- Create and edit videos for social media
- Maintain an organized and accessible design file library and support the creation of a digital asset management system.
- Maintain the organization's brand book and guidelines
- Collaborate with internal and external designers in English-speaking Canada to maintain cohesive brand and design outputs.
- Liaise with and oversee external graphic design and video contractors and suppliers
Materials and content to be designed or created:
- Graphics and video for all social channels (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn)
- Instagram and Facebook Stories
- Visual/graphics for social media advertising
- Email and website banners
- Webpage visuals
- Brand elements (logos, colour palettes, etc.)
- Campaign and organization branding guidelines
- Mood boards and other design planning tools
- Virtual greeting cards
Skills, Experience and Knowledge Required
Education and Experience:
- 3 to 5 years of experience designing high quality content for print and digital channels; including social, web and email.
- Expert skills in adobe design programs
- Experience working in a non-profit environment or with environmental focused organizations is an asset.
- Excellent organizational, project management and time management skills
- Exceptional written communication skills; excellent communication skills in English.
- Strong experience creating original illustrations
- Video production and editing skills are an asset
What You Bring to the Role:
- Resilient and flexible. You are a collaborative colleague who enjoys being part of a team and can work independently.
- Strong ability to be creative on the fly. You have a demonstrated ability to handle high-stress situations with calm and poise.
- Proven ability to adapt quickly to changing conditions and requirements. You thrive in a busy, deadline-driven and information-rich workplace.
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment. Your positive attitude energizes and influences the team.
- Demonstrated autonomy, driven by your own initiative to prioritize competing demands and deliver high quality products in a timely manner.
- You have a passion and strong interest in social justice and environmental movements and online advocacy.
- Your strong personal values are aligned with the mission and values of DSF, demonstrated through work or community involvement.
What You Get:
- Being a part of a team of superstars
- Generous benefits package
- 4-day work week
- Amazing work culture with smart colleagues that really care
Please submit your cover letter and your resume online and submit your application by going to https://davidsuzuki.org/careers/ The position will stay open until it is filled. Only qualified applicants will be contacted for interviews.
We recognize the importance of a diversified workforce, and we encourage women, Indigenous People(s), First Nations, Inuk/ Inuit and Métis candidates, racialized persons, and persons with different abilities to apply.