Wednesday, October 20, 2021
Canadian Museum for Human Rights
Purpose of Position
The Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) is centered around the idea that respect and understanding of human rights can serve as a positive force for change in the world. The Event Coordinator will support our collective efforts to build a workplace culture that is inclusive, equitable, innovative and focused on inspiring action.
Reporting to the Manager, Special Events and Facility Rentals, the Event Coordinator will be responsible for the booking, planning and execution of events. The role will oversee and assist with room set-up and takedown, and will be the key point of contact during events. This position will also play a key role in contract management ensuring the delivery of service standards by the contracted companies. The Event Coordinator will take part in ensuring that CMHR delivers on its promise to provide world-class service through collaborative strategies.
The incumbent will be a strong and thoughtful communicator, critical thinker and innovator, and will bring a collaborative approach to their role.
- Contributes to a culture that promotes respect, equity, inclusion and innovation, and models anti-racist and accountable behaviours.
- Assists clients with day-to-day requirements, inquiries and design leading up to events and provides professional recommendations on key planning components such as timelines/agendas for floor plans, audiovisual elements, room configurations, décor, programming and customized tours.
- Oversees the execution of all events once on-site and acts as a key point of contact during events.
- Oversees and assists with room set-up and takedown for internal and external events.
- Works alongside, and in partnership with, contracted companies during events.
- Engages with clients and supports events as required (special requests, guest concerns and event orders).
- Participates in meetings with internal stakeholders on a regular basis to ensure that key details are being flawlessly executed.
- Assists and leads site visits with potential and existing clients and identifies client requirements and expectations.
- Leads pre-event meetings with internal and external clients and assists in establishing clear and realistic expectations.
- Provides direction to and works closely with volunteers during events.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of banquet/special events service experience and/or education at the certificate or diploma level (in tourism or hospitality preferred), or equivalent combination of skills and experience.
- Commitment to human rights principles, including respect, equity, inclusion and dignity for all.
- Proven experience in customer service with a high level of professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to assume a leadership role and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with visitors, staff, contractors, clients, volunteers and members of the public.
- Ability to work and make decisions both independently and collaboratively in a team-oriented environment.
- Strong time management and organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple client files simultaneously.
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, with the ability to engage the confidence of internal and external stakeholders.
- Detail-oriented with keen attention to client/contractor requirements.
- Understanding and knowledge of the food and beverage industry including working with wine/and food allergies.
- Knowledge working with audiovisual technology.
- Relevant and similar experience in a related organization (e.g., museum or other not-for-profit organizational event planning; meeting and/or event planning in the restaurant, hospitality or tourism industry).
Official Language Proficiency
- 1 x C - Oral Proficiency (Advanced), C - Written Comprehension (Advanced), C - Written Expression (Advanced)
- 1 x Bilingual preferred
Conditions of Employment
- Security Screening Level - Reliability Status
- Child Abuse Registry Check
- Flexible with hours of work, including weekends, holidays and some evenings
- Requires long periods of walking and standing
- Requires frequent lifting of tables, stage pieces, chairs, benches, etc., up to 50 lbs
- Ability to move and stack chairs and tables, and use a dolly or trolley
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and résumé to CMHR's Careers page at https://humanrights.ca/about/careers by October 27, 2021. The cover letter must provide concrete examples that illustrate how they meet the education and experience aspects listed in the Required and Desired Qualifications . Résumés will be used as a secondary source to validate the education and experience described in the cover letter.
The Canadian Museum for Human Rights (CMHR) believes that a diversity of experiences and thought drives innovation and transformation. We are working towards building a workforce that is representative of the community in which we live and that we serve. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all and encourage you to identify your employment equity status in your cover letter. The information you voluntarily disclose will be kept confidential and used solely for the purpose of increasing workforce diversity.
CMHR recognizes its responsibility as a public institution to take every precaution reasonable in the circumstances to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and that COVD-19 vaccination is an effective measure in minimizing the risk and impact of COVID-19 in the workplace and community. To this end, all Employees of the Museum are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to be permitted in the workplace.
The CMHR is committed to developing a work environment and recruitment processes that are inclusive and barrier-free. Please advise the HR representative if accommodation measures must be taken to enable you to apply and be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
Intent / Result of process: An eligibility list of qualified candidates may be created as a result of this process. The list would have a retention schedule of six months.
If contacted about this job posting, please advise us if you require any accommodations regarding the interview process.