Job Description: Roofing Area Sales Manager- Ontario/ Quebec
The roofing division in Canada is seeking an Area Sales Manager (ASM) for Ontario and Quebec. This position will be responsible for all aspects of sales and service to the Roofing channel.
The Roofing Area Sales Manager is responsible for executing Owens Corning's Roofing growth strategy. Working closely with the Regional Sales Leader, Roofing Components ASM, Technical Sales Representative and ASM's, this individual will foster current customer growth as well as identify and pursue profitable new business opportunities within the retail dealer network and commercial channel.
This position reports to the Roofing Sales Leader: David Flood
Home Office Based: Ontario
Knowing Our Customers (Driving Business Growth through deep customer knowledge and market understanding)
- Continuously builds intimate insight and knowledge of the market and customers within the territory, their business, what is necessary for the customer to be successful, and the differential value that our current and future products, programs and processes deliver.
- Understands what is necessary for the direct customer to be successful, generates measurable differential value from current and future products, programs and processes delivered to the customer.
Developing Territory Strategy
The ASM will provide the following insights:
- An environmental analysis that includes:
- Economic impacts
- Market trends
- Competitor intelligence and strategies
- Clear needs of the customer and the customer's strategy
An analysis of the competition, which identifies competitive advantages, disadvantages and company strengths and weaknesses. (Understanding of why the customer is buying from the competition.)
- An analysis of external, execution risks, their potential impact on business segment results, and the definition of a mitigation plan, which addresses the risks with, identified actions.
Execution - Delivering Results
The Roofing ASM must be a well-organized self-starter with high work standards in order to achieve defined sales revenue and gross margin objectives while managing OC product placement and share of customer wallet within their territory.
The Roofing ASM will execute on the customer strategy, share results with others, conduct meaningful customer discovery interviews, to insure we are delivering on what the customer value most.
Delivers on the plans for all segments; optimizes for Owens Corning and the customer
- Identifies and delivers differential value for OC and our customers
- Develops and implements customer operating plans with a 3 year vision, as well as annual plans
- Continually seeks knowledge of the competition and ensures the information is fed back into the organization in a way that can shape action.
- Through partnership, ensures the customer meets their financial goals
- Manages margin through strategic price, actionable cost management, and effective negotiation using accurate and reliable reporting tools
- Through communication and behavior, advances our desired market role and positioning
- Recommends resourcing and funding decisions that maximize value for Owens Corning.
- Identifies and develops process changes to eliminate waste/increase profitability for Owens Corning and our customers
- Makes the customer's strategies known and relevant outside of sales; gets others in the game with them
- Establishes strong and productive high, wide and deep customer relationships
- Communicates the full value that can be derived from each of our products, services, systems and solutions; individually and collectively
- Ensures a safe, clean and environmentally compliant work environment and builds a culture where safety is a first priority.
- Experience in the building materials industry preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop a sale from cold call through close
- Operating across geographic and cultural boundaries
- Ability to market, educate and sell new products and services, attracting new customers.
- Solid experience delivering impactful presentations and demonstrations
Knowledge and Skills:
- Bilingual: Excellent verbal and written skills in English and French
- Demonstrated ability to develop an intimate knowledge of customers, competition, and the market.
- Building science knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to build strong customer relationships
- Superior presentation skills
Abilities and Personal Characteristics:
- Leads with a strong set of values aligned with OC values
- Conducts himself/herself with the highest ethical and moral standards
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and execute against multiple opportunities
- Makes decisions and commits to a course of action with appropriate information and recognizes uncertainty of success; weighs and manages risk in decision making; able to make decisions detrimental to a few but helpful to many.
- Highly motivated and results driven with a high energy level
- Carries self with a high degree of professionalism and poise
- Asks meaningful questions with critical listening and analytical skills
- Intelligent, creative, analytical
- Behave in a mature and appropriate manners.
- Shows good judgment; does not allow feeling or biases to distract reasoning; does not rationalize failures
- Expresses himself/ herself candidly and encourages candor from others
- Shows appreciation for and understanding of the feelings of others.
Aware of personal impact on others. Expresses opinions without offending or creating defensiveness
- Leadership - Lead teams, Peer Mentoring
- Ability to sell against the competition's products and services. Knows products and services from memory and is an information source for others, etc
- Market Complexity - Experience with multiple locations located in various markets in various provinces. Acts upon and understand how the customers define success and how to leverage the two organizations for mutual success.
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time
- Bachelor's degree in business or related field
- Minimum 3 years sales experience preferred
About Owens Corning
Owens Corning is a global building and industrial materials leader. The company's three integrated businesses are dedicated to the manufacture and advancement of a broad range of insulation, roofing and fiberglass composite materials. Leveraging the talents of 19,000 employees in 33 countries, Owens Corning provides innovative products and sustainable solutions that address energy efficiency, product safety, renewable energy, durable infrastructure, and labor productivity. These solutions provide a material difference to the company's customers and make the world a better place. Based in Toledo, Ohio, USA, the company posted 2020 sales of $7.1 billion. Founded in 1938, it has been a Fortune 500® company for 66 consecutive years. For more information, please visit www.owenscorning.com.
Owens Corning is an equal opportunity employer.