The role:We are hiring two writers: one to focus on content for Learners and another to focus on content for Program Management. You can pick your preferred focus area when you apply.
As our Content Writer for Learners, you will be responsible for producing a variety of written content aimed at helping learners understand the benefits of our admissions and developmental assessments, how to prepare for them, and leverage insights provided through their Altus accounts for self-directed learning.
You'll work with several teams to ensure copy is compelling, accurate, and helpful for learners. Product Marketing will be your go-to source for insights on our learners and stakeholder networks, information on upcoming campaigns, launches, and updates to our learner-facing products. You'll also work with Applicant Support to ensure communications regarding test prep, dates, fees, instructions, tips, and other procedures are clear and timely. You'll also work with Research to produce copy that communicates the evidence behind our products to build learners' confidence and trust in Altus.
As our Content Writer for Program Management, you will be responsible for writing engaging content on our suite of products for higher education program management (e.g., curriculum management, learner assessments, and analytics) and related topics, with the goal of attracting and retain customers, as well as expanding our company's brand awareness.
You'll work with several teams to ensure copy is compelling, accurate, and helpful for prospects and customers. Product Marketing will be your go-to source for insights on the market and stakeholder networks, information on upcoming campaigns, launches, and updates to our suite of program-facing products. You'll work closely with Customer Success to identify customers for case studies and work with Research to produce copy that communicates the evidence behind our products to build programs' confidence and trust in Altus.
This is a full-time position based in Canada and reports to our Senior Manager, Content Marketing. We are a remote-first company that returned to a limited office presence in Toronto and co-working space opportunities outside the GTA in January 2022 to accommodate employees that want or need an office or a hybrid option.
In this role, you will:
- research, write, and/or review a variety of learner content, including communication kits for programs to share with learners, test prep tips, FAQs, blog articles, newsletter copy, video scripts, and landing pages
- update existing content to align with new and updated products and research findings
- interview subject matter experts and other stakeholders to guide content development
- contribute to the evolution of the content strategy
- build and maintain relationships with Product Marketing, Research, and Applicant Support to stay on top of new developments and generate new content
- optimize content considering SEO and analytics
- perform well under deadlines, be detail-oriented, and (obviously) have outstanding communication skills
- be curious and have a scrappy "roll up your sleeves" approach to work
In 12 months, you will:
- have an intimate understanding of our products, as well as our learners and their needs
- support the creation of our internal message house for the company and all products
- have a cadence of creating 10-12 quality content pieces using different presentation layers across learner channels
- show that you are a superstar copywriter
To thrive in this role, you have:
- 2+ years of professional experience with creative writing, business writing or journalism
- formed solid research or interview methods that inspires and informs your writing
- working knowledge of SEO best practices
- a background in B2B or B2C marketing
- had exposure to higher education or a strong interest in learning our industry
To thrive at Altus, you are:
- able to live our core values of Caring, Curious, and Driven to help us attain our goal of creating a world full of exceptional professionals
- a self-starter, highly curious about how the business works, and able to help us focus where it counts
- a person with loosely held yet strong opinions. You know why you want what you want, yet you remain humble, accept that you can be wrong, and constantly seek out creating the best possible solutions
- interested in being part of a team that's building a sustainable, high-growth business
- someone who can thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, start-up environment, preferring change over status-quo
- nurturing and empathetic with a professional, positive attitude
- genuinely interested in and curiosity about Higher Education and EdTech
The interview process:
Our interview process optimizes for a positive candidate experience. The general steps are outlined below. At each step, you'll have the opportunity to get to know us and ask questions that can help you decide if Altus is a fit for you at this stage in your career.
- Introductory Phone Call. A member of our People & Culture team will review your application and, if selected, have a phone call to get to know you better and tell you more about the role, team and our company. (Time allocation: 30 - 45 minutes, plus preparation)
- Meet The Manager. You'll meet your potential future manager via a video call to discuss your background and experiences in more depth. (Time allocation: 30 - 60 minutes, plus preparation)
- Meet The Team. You'll meet with 2-3 members of our team over a video call who will assess your technical skills, alignment to our values, and how you might add to our workplace culture. You may complete a short task and presentation that closely mirrors some aspects of the role. (Time allocation: approx. 2 hours, plus preparation)
- Reference Checks. We'll ask you for 2-3 professional references we can reach out to and chat about your time working together.
- Wait For a Final Decision. The Hiring Manager consolidates feedback from each team member you've met. We may reach out to you for a quick additional call to help our decision.
- Receive an Offer. If you are our perfect match, and we're yours, we'll extend an offer to you over a video call.
We offer you:
- Competitive Salary. We've designed our total rewards strategy to compensate you above the Canadian-based tech market rate for your exceptional contribution to Altus.
- Stock Option Plan. To benefit from the growth you contribute to and the opportunity for future ownership in the company, we grant you options that start vesting on your first day of employment.
- GRSP Matching Program. If you choose to participate in our Group Registered Savings Plan program through Wealthsimple, we match your contribution up to 2% of your salary each pay period, pre-tax income.
- Learning & Development Budget. We allocate $3,000 for you to direct towards your professional and personal growth.
- Flexible, Self-Directed Vacation. Take time off when you need it. We recommend one week per quarter in addition to federal and provincial statutory holidays, but there are no firm rules. We trust you.
- Company-Wide Paid Time Off. We collectively turn off our work during the last couple of weeks in December for the Holiday Season and Altus Days (a bonus Friday off every month).
- Access to Health Coverage from Day 1. You can enroll in our comprehensive health, dental, vision, and life benefits plan through Equitable Life of Canada on the day you join us.
- Parental Leave With Top-Up. Growing your family is an exciting time, and we support and encourage you to take time off with your new loved ones. You can extend your leave if you choose with top-up payments for four months.
- Sick Time, Other Leave. Take paid time off when you're experiencing illness, a medical or family emergency, the loss of a loved one, or just need to nurture your wellness.
- Hybrid Work Model. Work from home, our office space in downtown Toronto, in a coworking space, or take your work on the road for a little while. Choose what works for you. If you live outside of the Greater Toronto Area and want to rent a coworking desk, we've got you covered for up to $150 per month.
- Workspace Equipment. You'll receive a Mac laptop or equivalent of your choice, and we'll support you with other workspace accommodations you need for your home office.
- Transparency. Through our weekly All Hands and monthly financial updates, you'll have visibility into business metrics, progress, performance and overall company health.
ABOUT ALTUS AND OUR TEAM:
Altus was born out of the frustrations of our founders for the lack of efficiencies and effectiveness of applicant and learner assessment in healthcare education. From there, Altus has grown to become an end-to-end program intelligence platform that enables over 450 higher education programs worldwide to streamline and automate labour-intensive processes while integrating data sets to provide a holistic view of learners and programs. No other solution provides a program with a unified view of learner and program from application to graduation.
We're a quirky, vibrant, and diverse group of 140+ working collaboratively to tackle some tough problems (like evaluating empathy in someone who wants to train to become a doctor) and some less tough ones (like how to answer that bonus question on Trivia Night).
Our core values are caring, curious, and driven, and we embody these in everything we do. We genuinely care about the well-being of others, we possess an innate desire to learn continually, and every day we strive to be better than the person we were the day before. To learn more, visit us at www.altusassessments.com.
Our commitment to building a diverse team:
We are an equal opportunity employer committed to building a company that embraces and celebrates diversity and inclusion. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We understand that diverse teams build better products, bring more perspective to the table, contribute to a company's financial success and help foster a more inclusive environment. Still, the bottom line is that building a diverse team is the right thing to do.