Position Title: Communications Specialist Position Number: 2022-03
Department: Homelessness Prevention & Days/Hours of Work: Mon-Fri 37.5 hrs/wk
Location: Lighthouse Youth Housing, 516 Yates
Compensation: $24.00/hr Status: Full-time
Start Date: ASAP Posting Period: Until filled
ABOUT BEACON :
Beacon Community Services is a well-established local charity operating in the Greater Victoria
area for over 45 years. We are an award -winning and accredited organization that helps people
and improves lives through a range of community programs and services than span every phase
of people's lives. We serve Southern Vancouver Island and the outer Gulf Islands with a team
around 200 staff and 600 volunteers. We offer a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits
package, and a rewarding, stimulating work environment.
Our Homelessness Prevention & Shelter Services team operates the Lighthouse, a BC Housing
funded youth housing facility with a full spectrum of services for up to 25 at risk youth. As a
Communications Specialist, you report to our Director, Homelessness Prevention & Shelter
Services and are responsible for providing communications services for the Lighthouse and other
homelessness prevention programs. Services include developing communications strategy,
supporting community and stakeholder communications and engagement activities and crafting
social media and print materials. You will support stakeholder communications and engagement
through active outreach to community, direct communication with neighbors and social media
activities. In this position, you will provide strategies for strengthening relationships with
stakeholders. You will also provide communications support for effectively engaging youth in
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
? Participating in the development, implementation and evaluation of strategic communications
goals and objectives
- Identifying potential issues and opportunities involving the development, production and
distribution of communications and developing strategies to address these issues
- Researching, writing, editing and helping design and produce diverse communications
materials such as Executive messages and presentations, staff messages, Q and As, external
announcements, speeches, briefing notes, backgrounders, as well as digital content for our
website and intranet
- Creating digital information for publication on different platforms
- Drafting policy, procedure and contract documents for internal and external use in
collaboration with program leaders and the Director of Communications.
- Providing communications support to projects and initiatives by working with managers to
create and implement communications plans.
- Evaluating and reporting on the success of communications and project implementations.
- Writing stories to support all communications programs, including interviewing staff,
residents, service providers and stakeholders.
- Filming, editing and producing short video interviews to create accessible, effective plain
language communications tools
- Working closely with the Director of Communications to publish program communications
materials. Providing backup support to manage website and intranet content when needed
? Bachelor's Degree in Communications, Public Relations, English, or equivalent and relevant
- Five (5) years of experience in public relations, corporate communications, or media relations
- Experience working or volunteering with vulnerable youth is a definite asset
- An equivalent combination of relevant education and experience may be considered
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
? Ability to interact effectively with vulnerable youth.
- A proven ability to establish and maintain effective and collaborative working relationships
with people at every level of the organization and key stakeholders both internal and external
- A demonstrated ability to do communications planning and writing with a good grasp of plain
- Demonstrated experience in project communications and change management
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to handle pressure and work in a dynamic work
environment, adapting to changing priorities and deadlines, emerging issues, and competing
- Experience with developing and working on digital communications strategies and platforms,
including knowledge of how to enhance engagement on these platforms.
- Excellent skills monitoring and using social media platforms
- Sound ability to work in multimedia platforms including creating simple videos and publishing
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION :
Beacon Community Services serves vulnerable populations including seniors, people with
disabilities and children. Protecting these people and our teams on whom they rely is critical to
All successful applicants must consent to a Solicitor General's Criminal Record Check.
All successful applicants must present proof of COVID-19 vaccination as a condition of hire
and ongoing employment. Should you have an official vaccination exemption, kindly advise us
during your job application process, so we may discuss possible accommodation options.
If you want to make a difference in the lives of vulnerable youth Apply Now! quoting the position
number 2021-03. Please note only those applicants who are selected to continue in the
recruitment process will be contacted.