Administrative Assistant - ECSE
Tracking Code: req128
Faculty/Department: Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science
Number of Positions: 1
Appointment Type: Full-Time Continuing
Hours of Work: 35 hours per week
Salary Range: Level 6 - Starting Salary, Step 1 $49,558
Posting Date: April 25, 2022
Closing Date: May 2, 2022
The Administrative Assistant, under the direction of the Department Chair, provides administrative support to the Department of Electrical, Computer and Software Engineering within the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science.
Nature of Work:
Reporting to the A Electrical, Computer and Software Engineering Department Chair, the Administrative Assistant is responsible for providing administrative support to the Chair, faculty and members of the Electrical, Computer and Software Engineering Department and Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science (FEAS).
- Provide administrative assistance to the Department Chair, including: maintaining calendar and scheduling of appointments; scheduling all departmental meetings and taking minutes; supporting the Chair in daily work, communication, email, phone, etc.; and provide support for correspondence with Dean, Associate Dean, HR, Lab Manager, and other key stakeholders
- Develop, maintain, and (as required) modify administrative systems to ensure the department's effective daily operation
- Provide front-line contact for the department and all undergraduate departmental matters
- Serve as Secretary to Department Council(s)/Meetings and provide administrative support for all major departmental committees, such as the Undergraduate Curriculum Committees, Graduate Committee, CEAB Committees, and Industrial Advisory Committee
- Work with the Chair of the TA committee and Graduate Program Assistant on developing TA list, and the administrative processing of assignments for TAships, including generating TA contracts and communicating with TAs on all related matters
- Coordinate with the Department Chair and the Director of Planning and Operations the administration of Sessional contracts for the department including the posting of these positions on the Ontario Tech website and the completion of the generation of these contracts in the Employee Personnel Action Form (EPAF) Banner system
- Coordinate for the Department Chair and department faculty members the processing and administration of research contracts including Post Doctoral Fellow contracts, Research and Academic Associate Contracts, Research Assistant and Research Technicians contracts, and the completion of these contracts in the Employee Personnel Action Form (EPAF) Banner system
- Provide administrative support to faculty members including: drop box requests; key and proxy card requests; office maintenance and facilities requests; ordering office supplies; requesting blackboard access; posting class and office hours cancellation notices; and ad hoc faculty member requests
- Process department's invoices and reviews expense claims and submits to the Dean's Office for review
- Coordinate department's textbook orders
- Coordinate department's final exam schedule and requests for extra invigilators
- Other duties as assigned by the Department Chair
- Attention to detail, confidentiality and the ability to manage high volume and multiple demands.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to handle faculty, staff and students with tact and diplomacy.
- Intermediate in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Completion of a formal post-secondary/College program of two academic years or equivalent
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
- Verification of academic credentials may be required
- A minimum of one to three years of successful experience in a client services role.
- Administrative experience in an academic environment is preferred, including knowledge of university policies and procedures
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit in electronic format a covering letter and their resume. Applications will be accepted until May 2, 2022 or until a suitable candidate is found. We appreciate all applications received; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
This position falls within the bargaining unit represented by the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU) and will be subject to the terms and conditions of the collective agreement between the university and the OPSEU. To the extent that policies are not included in the collective agreement, employment will also be governed by the university's policies which may also be found on our website https://ontariotechu.ca and which may be amended from time-to-time.
Ontario Tech University is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, while especially encouraging applications from women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens, permanent residents and Indigenous Peoples in Canada will be given priority.
Ontario Tech University respects people's different needs and therefore will take all reasonable steps to ensure accommodation for applicants where appropriate. The University is also committed to ensuring that confidentiality is maintained throughout all aspects of the recruitment cycle.
The University has implemented a mandatory vaccine directive and this affects all employees, students and community members attending our University campus. As a result, all Ontario Tech employees attending campus are required to be fully vaccinated against Covid-19. Where operational needs require you to attend campus to perform the duties of your job, you will be required to comply with this request and with the mandatory vaccine directive which requires all employees to be fully vaccinated to attend campus as of October 17, 2021. To learn more about the University's mandatory vaccination directive, please click here. The university recognizes some faculty and staff may require accommodations. We are committed to an accommodation process in which individualized needs (e.g. for medical and religious/creed grounds) are appropriately addressed under the Ontario Human Rights Code. If you require accommodation, please contact Julie Day, Health and Disability Management Specialist. For more information about the universities policies for accommodating employees with disabilities please review the university's Accessibility Policy
The university acknowledges the lands and people of the Mississaugas of Scugog Island First Nation which is covered under the Williams Treaties. We are situated on the Traditional Territory of the Mississaugas, a branch of the greater Anishinaabeg Nation which includes Algonquin, Ojibway, Odawa and Pottawatomi.
Job Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Expected Start Date: 5/16/2022
Expected End Date: