Job Description :
Reporting to the Director, Community Engagement, the Manager, Community Engagement is responsible for:
- Working with patients, families, caregivers and key stakeholders (internal and external) to embed patient, caregiver and public engagement into various Home and Community Care Support Services (HCCSS) initiatives and its broader provincial mandate. The Manager will also act as an advisor to HCCSS staff in ensuring that the patient, caregiver and public voice informs and impacts the quality of home and community care across the Province.
- Leading a team of engagement professionals and champions a high-performance environment and promotes a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment where each member serves as a value-add resource; communicating vision/values/business strategy and managing succession and development planning for the team. Creates a positive culture in which innovation, collaboration and creativity thrive.
- Supporting the Director in developing collaborative plans to help staff, patients, and caregivers, with the tools to engage purposefully in improving the overall patient experience. The Manager will be responsible for leading the creation of content and resources to support patients and providers to learn how to effectively engage with one another to help them fully embrace and engage in patient-centered, system-level quality improvements.
Strategy Design and Implementation
- Support the design and implementation of the organization's engagement philosophy, programs and policies, including the Community Engagement Framework.
- Support the development and operation of a Community Engagement Program, including program design, delivery, evaluation, tracking/reporting.
- Lead a team that supports organizational engagement activities that capture patient, family and caregiver voices through engagement sessions, surveys, embedding Patient & Family Advisors in local and provincial projects.
- Identify and execute best practices that inspire a culture of patient engagement excellence at Home and Community Care Support Services (HCCSS) and throughout the health system.
- Continually keep abreast of best practices in the field of patient engagement. Engage in discourse with the field and with engagement leaders across the province and country.
- Recruit, nurture and support Patient & Family Advisory Communities so that participants can effectively contribute to the various patient engagement opportunities at HCCSS.
Resource Development and Implementation
- Develop engagement resources, training, tools and opportunities where patients, caregivers, members of the public and health care providers and administrators can learn how to engage effectively with each other.
- Foster recognition by health care providers, organizations, patients, families and members of the public of the importance and value in engaging with each other.
Relationship Management and Partnership
- Build and maintain strong relationships, both internal and external to the organization, with a number of stakeholders - including health care organizations, associations that represent health care professionals and organizations, patients, caregivers, and the public.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in health care, social science, or public policy disciplines (e.g. psychology, education/health education, medical, nursing, public health, sociology, public affairs or related disciplines) or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Progressive and related experience in a health care or public policy environment that is normally attained over a four to six year period
- Patient/Client and Family/Caregiver Engagement within the health system is strongly preferred
- Experience in public/civic/stakeholder engagement
- Experience in francophone and indigenous engagement
- Experiencing managing people and leading teams
- Knowledge of engagement concepts, strategies and technical skills required in planning, execution and evaluation of engagement plans for internal and external audiences
- Knowledge of current trends in engagement planning and tactics, including in-person and virtual engagement sessions and other channels
- Knowledge of engagement policies and procedures, and patient and family centred care philosophy and/or frameworks
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to demonstrate sensitivity to the needs and interests of all stakeholders.
- Self-directed with a capacity for managing, executing and evaluating many complex, competing projects and initiatives in evolving, changing and stressful environments.
- Ability to be flexible and a tolerance for ambiguity in a constantly evolving organization and health environment.
- Proven project management skills.
- English speaking and writing proficiency required with additional French speaking and writing proficiency ideal
- Adept in the use of MS Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Teams, Sharepoint, etc.)
- Flexible, adaptable and responsive to change
- Solid facilitation and presentation skills
- Demonstrated critical thinking
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and deal with highly sensitive issues with tact and discretion.
- Ability to deliver information effectively and interpret data clearly in a variety of settings including one-on-one with staff and in team meetings.
- Strong mentoring, coaching and communication skills to provide instructions and guidance to staff with respect to activities, challenges and questions.
All applications will be reviewed; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Home and Community Care Support Services has implemented a mandatory vaccination policy across the province that requires all staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Applicants being considered for employment will be required to provide proof of vaccination documentation confidentially to Human Resources upon hire. Any medical or human rights exemption requests will be reviewed and validated prior to an offer of employment..
We are committed to a culture that values diversity and inclusion.
We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities, and are committed to providing accommodation as part of our hiring process. If you have special requirements, please advise Human Resources during the recruitment process.
In line with our fundamental values of collaboration, respect, integrity and excellence, we are an inclusive employer which respects equity, inclusion, diversity and anti-racism. We are committed to attracting, engaging and developing a workforce that reflects the diverse communities we serve and welcome and encourage applications from all qualified applicants.