Job Description :
This position is responsible for assisting staff in developing and leading the implementation of communication strategies that help promote and protect the image of the Department and its projects. Also, responsible for supporting communication responses to emerging issues, identifying communication opportunities that contribute to the effectiveness of programs and projects. Liaises with the public, community groups, local municipalities and other stakeholders and participates, promotes, and coordinates engagement activities.
- Collaborates/works with stakeholders and follows the corporate strategic leadership, planning and direction related to this function.
- Assists with the development and execution of communication plans for the Department and projects.
- Works with others to identify opportunities to promote programs and services and responds to emerging issues.
- Oversees written content including research, copywriting and editorial services for resident newsletters, web content, print ads and other articles, briefing notes, and review and editing of council reports.
- Provides support on issues related to communication, event management and media relations.
- Assists management and internal stakeholders with media inquiries, as it relates to program and projects, providing consistent and coordinated messaging, background research and developing key messages and reviewing content prepared internal stakeholders.
- Leads, participates, and coordinates public and community engagement activities.
- Promotes the integration of communication activities that broadly promote the programs and projects of the Department by identifying new tactics and approaches.
- Works with internal stakeholders on issues that have implications for the Department and Corporation, as required.
- Participates in the development and distribution of articles, press releases, media advisory notices and community service announcements, in conjunction with internal stakeholders, as required.
- Identifies media and/or issues that may arise and informs management, as appropriate; provides information, recommends options, and implements, as directed, in conjunction with stakeholders.
- Develops social media content for projects and campaigns.
- Acts as social media ?Site Moderator? for the department through participation in an on-call rotation cycle.
- Ensures websites and social media content related to projects and programs are current and up to date.
- Responds to inquiries and resolves concerns, as appropriate.
- Ensures that services provided meet Regional customer service standards.
- Participates on committees, work groups, task forces and special projects, as assigned.
- Manages information in accordance with legislation and corporate standards.
- Performs other duties as assigned, in accordance with Branch and Department objectives.
- Successful completion of a Community College Diploma in Journalism, Communications, Media, Marketing, Business Administration, or related field or approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum three (3) years experience in design and delivery of communication services and strategies, including the development of communication initiatives to assist both print and broadcast media.
- Demonstrated experience in the coordination of events and public engagement, communication and/or workshop facilitation.
- Highly developed editing and writing skills to effectively communicate information to targeted audiences.
- Demonstrated knowledge of communications practices media and social media applications.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to liaise and deal positively and collaboratively with internal and external clients and public.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement communication and social media strategies and identify where communications can have an impact in the Branch.
- Demonstrated ability in the Region's core competencies.