Thurber has an exciting opportunity for an Administrative Assistant to join our team in Ottawa, Ontario.
Thurber is a specialized consulting firm with a focus on geotechnical engineering. Our project work includes transportation, large and small infrastructure, natural hazards, development and more. We undertake challenging assignments that can include steep terrain, deep foundations, compressible soils, landslides, contamination, or other complications.
As our Administrative Assistant, you will work with our Ottawa team to assist with the daily operation of our Ottawa Branch.
- Assisting in the preparation of regularly scheduled reports;
- Developing and maintaining a filing system;
- Updating and maintaining office policies and procedures;
- Ordering office supplies and researching new deals and suppliers;
- Maintaining current contact information for customers/clients in the accounting system;
- Answering and directing phone calls;
- Organizing and scheduling appointments;
- Planning meetings and taking detailed minutes;
- Assisting with the preparation of proposal and report documents;
- Uploading and downloading documents to/from project document control sites;
- Performing data entry at month end in preparation for issuing prebills to project management personnel;
- Approving expenses;
- Maintaining client and project files;
- Reviewing and reconciling company credit card statements for each expense account;
- Booking travel arrangements;
- Submitting and reconciling expense reports;
- Providing general support to visitors;
- Acting as the point of contact for internal and external clients;
- Coordination of the on-boarding process for new staff with the Branch Manager, HR, Payroll, IT and Safety leads; and,
- Liaising with executive and senior administrative assistants to handle requests and queries from senior managers.
Qualifications and Assets
- Five of more years of experience as an administrative assistant, virtual assistant or office administrative assistant;
- Knowledge of office management systems and procedures;
- Working knowledge of office equipment, like printers and fax machines;
- Proficiency in MS Office (MS Excel, MS Word and MS PowerPoint, in particular);
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritize work;
- Attention to detail and problem-solving skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task; and,
- High School degree; additional qualification as an Administrative Assistant or Secretary are an asset.
What we offer
Upon joining Thurber Engineering you'll be welcomed into a casual, inclusive and professional office environment where open communication is valued at all levels. We're eager to help our team reach their potential which is why many of our team members spend much of their career with us! Here are the benefits of working for us in Ottawa:
- Our flat organizational structure allows easy access to senior professionals, corporate leaders, and subject matter experts across the company for mentorship and feedback.
- Our culture is respectful, collaborative, inclusive, and fun.
- We offer financial support towards professional development.
- We provide health and dental coverage, a healthcare spending account, RRSP matching, and an Employee and Family assistance program with 24/7 support online or over the phone.
Thurber Engineering Ltd. provides environmental, geotechnical, and materials engineering and testing services. A Canadian-owned company since 1957, we are consistently recognized for the quality of our work, the knowledge of our people, and for conducting our business with integrity.
Our team continues to grow as we build our reputation by working closely with our clients to provide timely, high-value solutions and technical support. Thurber is wholly owned by our senior employees and operates from 11 branches within Canada: Victoria, Vancouver, Kamloops, Calgary, Edmonton, Fort McMurray, Saskatoon, Toronto, Cambridge, Pickering, and Ottawa.
At Thurber, we know that our success can be attributed to the hard working, innovative group of people who come in every day ready and excited to take on new challenges and solve problems. We seek out team members who work hard, innovate, and operate with integrity. Our regional diversity gives us specialized knowledge of the various and complex geological and environmental conditions across Canada.
Building Canada with great people and great ideas.
Delivering specialist advice and services where projects meet the ground.
Passion and quality in what we do: working collaboratively, respectfully, sustainably, and safely.
- Put family first
- Pick up the phone
- Encourage creativity
- Work hard
We promise our clients, our people and our partners to:
- Serve our clients well.
- Meet changing client needs.
- Value our people and our communities.
- Build advantage by how we manage.
Don't miss out on this amazing opportunity to work for a remarkable organization that takes pride in its employees - apply today!