The McCord Museum is the museum of all Montrealers, a social history museum that celebrates life in Montreal, both past and present—its history, its people, and its communities. Open to the city and the world, the Museum presents exciting exhibitions, educational programming and cultural activities that offer a contemporary perspective on history, engaging visitors from Montreal, Canada and beyond. It is home to one of the largest historical collections in North America comprising over 200,000 objects and works of art, 2.15 million photographs, 3,500 rare books and 340 linear metres of textual archives, which make up its Dress, Fashion and Textiles, Photography, Indigenous Cultures, Documentary Art, Material Culture, and Archives collections. McCord Museum: Our People, Our Stories.
All of the McCord Museum’s activities revolve around six core values: diligence, integrity, inclusion, audacity, creativity and commitment.
We are looking for a
Ref number.: 202214E
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement an annual communication plan and specific communication plans for the Museum’s exhibitions and activities, in collaboration with management, marketing, culture and inclusion, and your team.
- Develop effective communication strategies to reach the Museum’s target audiences (visitors, Members, etc.) across digital and traditional channels, and create a media plan for exhibitions with the help of an agency and the person responsible for publicity and promotion.
- Support all departments with the communicational aspects of their activities.
- Develop partnerships with the media and contribute to developing other partnerships; ensure that agreements are fulfilled and maintain good relations with partners.
- Motivate your team to reach the highest standards of excellence and innovation.
- Plan the team’s short- and medium-term goals.
- Support various tactics related to the institution’s brand image, reputation and positioning.
- Help develop the annual marketing communications strategy and the five-year plan; oversee their medium-term execution (e.g., supervise the implementation of the strategic plan’s digital communications component).
- Develop strategies to address opportunities and issues.
Communication management and delivery
- Oversee the implementation of communication projects and supervise the communication tactics (print, web, video) at every step from planning to production, with the help of your team.
- Help develop events and special projects and oversee their organization (exhibition openings, special events, film shootings, etc.).
- Produce or supervise the production of various documents (presentations, press releases, briefings, procedures, promotions, annual reports, etc.).
- Brief agencies and external resources and supervise the production of communication pieces while respecting agreed upon timelines and budgets.
- Ensure the quality of the Museum’s external and internal communications and compliance with the social media style guide, while respecting the brand’s values and promoting engagement.
- Ensure brand compliance.
- Supervise a team of 6 to 8 people (providing support and coordinating communications, as well as interns); ensure the team’s operational efficiency and wellbeing.
- Recruit, manage and evaluate the communications team.
- With help from your team, assess the performance of solutions that have been implemented and find opportunities for improvement.
- Create, improve and review written procedures to optimize your team’s work and the services provided to other Museum departments.
- Supervise use of the Museum’s communication channels and ensure they are used effectively.
- Identify the communication needs of the institution and of different teams; manage requests from other departments, develop solutions and tools, and prioritize as needed.
- Full-time position; Start date: August or September; Occasional work evenings and weekends during events
- Probation period: 3 months; Salary according to the Museum’s salary ranges
Qualifications and Profile Required
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing or Communication Studies
- Five (5) to ten (10) years of experience in Communications and three (3) years of relevant experience in a similar position
- Fluency in English and French (spoken and written) and excellent French writing skills
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and knowledge of Adobe CS (Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign), WordPress and Sugar CRM and Sugar Market is an asset.
- Knowledge of publishing, knowledge of CRM and data analysis
- Knowledge and ability to keep abreast of Web and social media best practices and trends
- Excellent time and resource management skills (human and financial)
- Excellent organizational and planning skills and ability to manage multiple deadlines simultaneously
- Talent for multi-tasking with thoroughness and efficiency as well as the capacity to define priorities, including for the team
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, team spirit and leadership
- Resourcefulness, dynamism, adaptability, versatility and autonomy
- Solution-oriented approach, creativity and spirit of innovation
- Keen interest in heritage and cultural activities
Why join the McCord Museum’s team?
- Challenging projects, teleworking, flexible working hours; two (2) weeks’ vacation for the holiday season and three (3) weeks during the year; four (4) wellness days in the year, group insurance and generous pension plan
- Social and cultural activities; private tours of exhibitions; training opportunities; collaborative and inclusive work environment.
Diversity is an important value for the McCord Museum, and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. All applicants are welcome, however we will only contact those retained for an interview.
Applications for the position will be accepted until July 24, 2022 (Ref.: #202214E).
Please provide: 1) Letter of intent 2) Curriculum vitae 3) Salary expectations
Send to the Human Resources Department by e-mail: Via Isarta
For more information on the McCord Museum, please visit: www.musee-mccord.qc.ca
We thank all those who will be submitting their applications in advance. However, only those selected for the interviews will be contacted.