Staff - Non Union
Job CategoryM&P - AAPS
Job ProfileAAPS Salaried - Information Services, Level A
Job TitleCommunications and Marketing Specialist
DepartmentUBCO | University Relations | C & M | Web Communications
Compensation Range5,063.67 - $7,294.50 CAD Monthly
Posting End DateJuly 21, 2022
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End Date
Job Description Summary
The Communications and Marketing Specialist is responsible for the development, design and implementation of a full-range of communications to support administrative units at UBC s Okanagan campus. Working closely with key members within University Relations, the Communications and Marketing Specialist plans, coordinates and implements a wide variety of print, web, video and digital media projects to promote programs and services offered by administrative units at UBC s Okanagan campus.
This position reports directly to the Senior Manager, Web & Communications. The Communications and Marketing Specialist works as part of the University Relations team and interacts with students, staff and faculty across the university.
1. Communications Strategy
- Works closely with administrative units to understand their needs and create the plans, content and materials required to promote their initiatives
- Develop communications and marketing project plans, working with administrative units to clarify goals, target audiences, design criteria, project timelines and budgets
- Supports administrative units in the promotion of campus-wide projects, events and initiatives for students, faculty, staff and the public
- Creates a variety of messaging such as articles, reports, videos, photos, brochures and/or manuals
- Coordinates, maintains and develops marketing and promotional materials
- Develops promotional strategies including researching other universities for best practices
- Develops measures for the success of communications initiatives
- Identifies key opportunities to improve the organization s existing communications activities in consultation with the communications and marketing strategist lead.
2. Project Management
Manages marketing and communications projects:
- Evaluates publishing requirements and provides recommendations regarding channels, media and format
- Manages projects and coordinates workflow of content providers, editors, designers, and external service providers to deliver projects on time and on budget
- Educates clients regarding best practices in communications
- Works with other staff in University Relations to meet clients needs.
3. Content Generation:
- Contributes to UBC Okanagan s content strategy including websites, social media, online ad campaigns and other online assets
- Researches, writes, edits and produces content for communication channels including web communications, digital signage, print materials, reports and social media
- Develops print promotional materials including brochures, posters, guidebooks, and signage
- Takes photographs of events, portraits, and activities for use on various communications channels
- Creates, develops and distributes videos for use on various communications channels
4. Social Media and Web
- Supports the coordination and maintenance of UBC Okanagan main social media channels including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Flickr, and YouTube Researches and recommends new social media channels and approaches
- Stays current with latest trends and best practices in social media
- Coordinates communications content, ensures integration across print and web/social media and digital signage
- Develops web content including graphics, photos, video and digital signage
- Maintains web content style guides, standards and templates in compliance with UBC standards and best practices.
5. Performs other related duties as required.
Consequence of Error/Judgement
This position must exercise tact and diplomacy when dealing with staff and faculty. They must make decisions on how best to manage projects given short timeframes, relative strategic importance of projects, ease of substituting one project for another given staffing available, and the impact of failing to meet deadlines. The consequence of error in this area could be very serious for the university as it concerns the public image and profile of the UBC Okanagan campus on a provincial, national and international level.
Providing consistent information provides clarity, reduces redundancy, and offers significant cost savings and improvements in efficiency if done well.
This position reports directly to the Senior Manager, Web & Communications.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline. Relevant discipline including marketing, communications, journalism or management. Minimum of four years experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience. Related experience includes content development, ad copy writing or other editing work requiring excellent knowledge spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Experience in web-based content management systems (WordPress, Drupal), usability best practices, and analytics.
- Advanced understanding of digital media and social media. Knowledge of HTML and HTML editing/conversion tools.
- Experience with Adobe Acrobat and the Microsoft Office suite.
- Familiarity with databases or other project management software.
- Photography experience an asset.
- Experience in a post-secondary institution or similar environment an asset.
- Demonstrated understanding of marketing and communications best practices
- Effective communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Excellent writing skills including proven ability to write for the web, social media, brochures, and other communications channels
- Ability to select the most effective communications media for a situation
- Ability to effectively manage multiple tasks and priorities and work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to exercise diplomacy, tact, and discretion when working with confidential and/or sensitive information and in dealing with various levels within the university
- Capacity for creativity and research; ability to exercise initiative, resourcefulness, and judgment.
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently and within team and to work effectively under pressure to meet deadlines
- Ability to assess own performance and report on project status.