Staff - Union
Job CategoryBCGEU Okanagan Support Staff
Job ProfileBCGEU OK Hourly - Research Assistant and Technician II
Job TitleSTEM Outreach, Research and Event Coordinator
DepartmentUBCO | Research | Jakobi | School of Health and Exercise Sciences | Faculty of Health and Social Development
Compensation Range$23.54 - $27.02 CAD Hourly
Posting End DateSeptember 9, 2022
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
Job End DateAug 31, 2023
Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Youth Outreach Activity Coordinator
Description of Organizations
Westcoast Women in Engineering, Science and Technology (WWEST) Outreach team collaborates with classroom teachers to develop engaging hands-on lessons for students. Using various BC Education Curriculum outcomes, we co-design lessons that are STEM focused and based on the needs of the local classroom community. In-person, classroom lessons, are designed as a series of visits, with the goal of building connections and interest in STEM retention for years to come.
The integrative STEM Team Advancing Networks of Diversity (iSTAND) strives to foster an atmosphere that enables individuals within organizations to unleash their potential and to shape a more diverse mindset that welcomes inclusivity and respect into their personal and professional life. Each individual can be equipped with the tools necessary to challenge the status quo, create change and nurture inclusive spaces.
Description of Position
WWEST, along with iSTAND, is seeking a STEM curriculum coordinator for our upcoming in-school, and alternate outreach events/sessions.
Events provide youth (and some adults) with in-person, hands-on STEM activities linked to BC Education Curriculum. This position requires the successful candidate to be confident in independently coordinating school visits, and assist in designing and implementing STEM activities for youth in grades K-12. Suitable applicants would have knowledge/passion/interest in science and/or education.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinates/co-manage/organize events in schools across BC/Yukon
- Assist in developing and delivering engaging and unique STEM lessons/activities linked to BC Education curriculum
- Participate in team meetings and collaborate with team members
- Perform other related duties as required in the development and promotion of WWEST/iSTAND programming
- Support developing a network within the provincial STEM community
- Build and utilize teaching and communication skills
- High school graduation, some additional training in a related field and a minimum two years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Teachers Certification, or equivalent education and experience (minimum completion of undergrad degree with preference to those in a STEM related field) preferred
- Experience with youth is an asset
- Clean criminal record check
- Full COVID vaccination is required
- Excellent organizational skills
- Attention to detail in both written, and verbal communication
- Basic computer literacy
- Driver's license and own transportation is required