Reports to: Communications Director
Location: Downtown Toronto
Oceana Canada was established as an independent charity in 2015 and is part of the largest international advocacy group dedicated solely to ocean conservation. Oceana Canada has successfully campaigned to end the shark fin trade, make rebuilding depleted fish populations the law, improve the way fisheries are managed and protect marine habitat.
Canada has the longest coastline in the world, with an ocean surface area of 7.1 million square kilometres, or 70 per cent of its landmass. Oceana Canada believes that Canada has a national and global obligation to manage our natural resources responsibly and help ensure a sustainable source of protein for the world's growing population.
Oceana Canada works with civil society, academics, fishers, Indigenous Peoples and the federal government to return Canada's formerly vibrant oceans to health and abundance. By restoring Canada's oceans, we can strengthen our communities, reap greater economic and nutritional benefits, and protect our future.
The Communications and Media Relations Manager is responsible for developing and advancing strategic communications and effective media relations strategies for Oceana Canada. Candidates must be dedicated to Oceana Canada's mission, understand its campaign goals and actively support its success in achieving them. He or she will guide the media strategy and consistently articulate Oceana Canada's mission. The Communications and Media Relations Manager will ensure that Oceana Canada is viewed as a primary source, disseminator and conduit of information related to effectively managing and rebuilding Canada's marine resources.
- Under the guidance of the Communications Director, develop and implement the annual media strategy and budget
- Develop key messages, press releases and op-eds; pitching strategy and execution; spokesperson briefing and interview coordination
- Plan and execute media relations activities for all campaigns to meet coverage targets
- Monitor media, identify and respond to proactive and reactive media opportunities
- Cultivate and manage relationships with local and national media contacts
- Develop annual and campaign-based evaluation and coverage reports and track all Oceana Canada media coverage
- Develop and implement integrated communications plans for selected campaigns, working closely with communications and campaign leads
- Develop corporate materials, including the Annual Report, speeches, presentations and media-focused board reports
- Oversee the production of selected campaign reports
- Provide support for major events
- Lead, contribute to and supervise the work of external communications agencies and vendors
- Working with Executive Director and international colleagues, provide support for major gift proposal development and key funder stewardship.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications, or other relevant field, or equivalent experience
- Experience working in a fast-paced, results-driven environment
- At least five years of experience in communications, journalism or another related fields
- Prior knowledge of and experience working with media in Canada
- Superb reporting, writing, editing and verbal communication skills that are adaptable to a variety of audiences
- Ability to synthesize complicated scientific jargon quickly and accurately for a lay audience
- Ability to meet strict deadlines and work under pressure while maintaining humor and high energy
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to spot opportunities in times of change
- Original thinking, the ability to think independently and provide solutions both within the team environment and independently
- Must be able to represent Oceana Canada in a professional and responsive manner
- Fluency in French is considered an asset.
Oceana Canada offers a competitive salary and benefits.
Oceana Canada is an equal opportunity employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, support will be provided in the recruitment process and accommodations for disabilities will be provided on request wherever appropriate. All offers of employment are conditional upon the successful completion of reference checks and a criminal background check.
While we thank all candidates for their interest, only those short-listed will be contacted.
Application deadline: We are accepting rolling applications until the position is filled.