Essential duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for providing effective and competent office support to the Branch in a safe, legal and ethical manner, thus helping to ensure that the Branch's services to clients are of high quality.
- Welcomes clients and visitors by greeting them, in person or on the telephone; answering or referring inquiries.
- This position requires a basic knowledge of computer operation skills to enter incoming sample information into the LIMS. A basic knowledge of microbiology and chemistry is helpful to effectively assign proper sample and test codes. A broad knowledge of personal computer software and data entering skills is necessary to input data into the LIMS and generate special reports. Organizational skills are required to keep track of all sample and documentation. Time management skills are useful to ensure that sample is quickly prepared for testing. Written and oral communication skills are essential to obtain or clarify test instructions with clients. General office skills are useful to complete filing, and other related duties for the department. Some monthly invoicing may also be assigned.
- This position will specifically support our food testing and assurance services in Canada. Tested products will include food ingredients, finished food products, cannabis and cannabinoid-containing food products. Potential clients include food manufacturers, exporters, importers and retail outlets.
- Receive and log in samples in preparation for analysis. Review sample and any attached documentation to assign identification number and enter information into Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS). Prepare documentation as necessary
- Contact client, when necessary, to obtain and clarify missing or unclear information to ensure that identification of client code, test code, and sample contents are accurate
- Prepare packages for pick up by shipping vendors. Follow appropriate procedures to send packages and maintain all related documentation
- Prepare sample to be shipped to other testing facilities when necessary. Complete appropriate documentation and file accordingly
- Organize and maintain monthly job files
- Organize daily lab reports for approval and once approved email final reports to clients
- Greet and assist clients and visitors
- Maintain polite and professional communication via phone, e-mail, and mail.
- Maintain computer and manual filing systems
- Maintain client lists
- Screening phone calls and routing callers to the appropriate party.
- Photocopy, scan and print out documents on behalf of other colleagues
- Maintain document control in accordance with the requirements in the company's Management System
- To assist in the monthly invoicing of our clients as directed by the Administrative Supervisor
- To carry out the above responsibilities, and all others which may be assigned, in a manner demonstrating support for and adherence to the Company's Safety policy and Procedures, Quality Policy and Procedures, Ethics Policy, Environmental Management System, Vision and Strategy, and to exercise good judgment, common sense, and diplomacy in so doing
- Minimum Grade Twelve Diploma
- Administrative degree or Diploma in applicable field considered an asset
- Proficient in computer programs (Microsoft office)
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Good organization/multitasking, oral and written communication and timeline management skills.
- Ability to handle competing priorities.
- Emphasis on customer service.
Intertek is a leading Total Quality Assurance provider to industries worldwide. Our network of more than 1,000 laboratories and offices in more than 100 countries, delivers innovative and bespoke Assurance, Testing, Inspection and Certification (ATIC) solutions for our customers' operations and supply chains. Working at Intertek means joining a global network of state-of-the-art facilities and passionate people who deliver superior customer service with a purpose of bringing quality, safety, and sustainability to life.
Intertek Food Services team helps clients involved in the manufacturing and distribution of food products and services through assurance, testing, inspection, auditing and certification. From the farm to the fork, we assist customers at all points of the food supply chain in providing quality and safety to the products and processes.