Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU's people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
JOB OVERVIEW: CONFIDENTIAL ASSISTANT TO THE AVP INTERNATIONAL
Reporting to the Associate Vice President, International, this position is responsible for dealing with sensitive and confidential issues that often have significant impact on the organization. Utilizing strong organizational, analytical and problem solving skills s/he works independently and exercises initiative and excellent judgment to complete the responsibilities of this position. As a part of the administrative support team working within KPU International, this position will provide ad hoc support to the entire KPU International management team as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree plus a minimum of five years of progressively senior executive support experience. An equivalent combination of education, training and international related experience may also be considered.
- Fluency in a second/additional language would be an asset.
- International work experience and strong cross-cultural communications skills strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of Canadian post-secondary education system preferred. Familiar with different education systems in major international student source countries.
- Experience working with international students, including an understanding of other cultures and ability to communicate in a cross-cultural working environment.
- Ability to build and maintain positive, cooperative, and service-oriented relationships with internal and external clients (mainly applicants, agents, faculty, staff and prospective learners), where diversity of situations and people are routinely encountered.
- Considerable level of technical skills including the use of the Microsoft office suite (Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);BANNER or a similar integrated student information system/database; Communications programs such as Windows Live and Skype and social media tools such as Twitter, Facebook, etc; and the ability to learn software programs that may be used at the University.
- Ability to exercise a high level of initiative and responsibility, work independently and establish own priorities and meet deadlines.
- Proven ability to be flexible in adapting speaking and presentation style to people of various backgrounds and cultures. Proven ability to present and convey appropriate and diplomatic responses to questions under pressure.
- Proven ability to represent a post-secondary institution or organization with tact and diplomacy while interacting with people of various ages, cultures and languages.
- Proven ability to conduct oneself in a professional manner in a demanding, high stress, fast paced environment over a sustained period of time.
- Excellent command of English language both verbal and written.
- Demonstrated judgment, discretion and ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality in preparing, disclosing and handling information of a confidential and or sensitive nature.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare meeting agendas and packages and accurately record and transcribe minutes.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate multiple meetings involving numerous participants and varying schedules.
- Proven ability to juggle and prioritize tasks, work to deadlines and demands, make responsible decisions and determine when to seek advice.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and demonstrated attention to detail required.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Ability to work a significant amount of evenings and some weekends required.
- Ability to travel to other campuses. Ability to travel internationally on occasion.
- A valid B.C. driver's license, safe driving record and access to a vehicle for work purposes is preferred.
- Must be able to lift and carry materials in the range of 30 to 50 lbs.
Please note this is a hybrid position.
Please visit our careers page for further information: https://tre.tbe.taleo.net/tre01/ats/careers/v2/viewRequisition?org=JT63GS&cws=37&rid=1853
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don't check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.