The UBC Science Co-op Program assists over 2900 qualified Science students every year in securing work placements with employers as part of their education experience. The Science Co-op Program offers a supportive and positive work culture, and this position is part of a dedicated team that is passionate about student success. The key role for this position is to assist with developing new job opportunities related to the Computer Science sector and other sectors relevant to Science Co-op Program and providing exceptional account management service to hiring employers. By receiving guidance and instructions from the Business Development Manager, the incumbent will work independently to assist with sourcing prospective employers, following up on new job leads in the targeted industry sectors and reporting marketing progress and results on a weekly basis.
Reports to the Business Development Manager and will be working closely with individual program coordinators to identify the areas of needs.
Responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
- Conducting market research to source potential employers and job opportunities suitable for the program
- Promoting program and explaining our Co-op job placement process to new employers via telephone, email and by attending trade shows
- Sourcing and securing job opportunities from prospective & existing employers through cold calling and pass on job leads to Coordinators
- Meeting weekly targets for outreaching to prospective employers
- Assisting with developing email campaigns and completing follow-up calls every semester
- Finding relevant job postings and assessing its suitability for the program
- Maintaining records of contacts in internal database
- Actively informing program Coordinators of relevant trade shows and recruiting events
- Coordinating display booths at various trade shows, professional association events, career fairs and on-campus recruitment events
- Generating reports and follow-up calls to current employers who submit job postings to the program for the term
- Data entry of job postings into the Co-op database and sending off job applications to first time employers
- Other administrative tasks related to the position
Consequence of Error/Judgement
The position represents the Faculty of Science and its Co-op program, the students and the University. Incorrect decisions would adversely affect the reputation of its stakeholders which would prevent it from achieving its targets. The reputation of other UBC Co-op and career programs and of the Faculty and the university generally would also be harmed by poor decisions. Failure to deliver effective and timely service to employers could result in loss of industry support, which would seriously damage the program. All Science Co-op employees are required to follow UBC s information security policies and procedures. Failure to do so may result in a serious information security breach, which will cause harm to the University and third parties.
Reports to the Business Development Manager. Works independently within constraints of policy and the administrative framework. Work subject to review in relation to program goals.
No supervision given to other staff.
High School graduation, plus two year post-secondary diploma, plus four years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Undergraduate degree in a relevant discipline is preferred. Related co-op or marketing experience preferred. Business development or sales experience required. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Computer experience with Microsoft Office and Internet Research (Intermediate level). Organized and proficient in Excel. Good email management skills. Have excellent customer service skills. Excellent phone manners, hardworking, proactive, and motivated in following up with employers. Ability to work effectively independently and in a team environment. Ability to effectively market, promote program and services to new clients. Ability to be thorough, accurate, and have a high level of attention to detail.
The Science Co-op team operates with a hybrid work arrangement that offers up to one day a week working from home for those who are interested after their initial training period is completed.