Company : IWK Health
Req ID: 143567
Department/Program : Surg / Optha Res , Research Services
Type of Employment: Temporary Hourly PT long-assignment ( 60% FTE) for one year x 1 position(s)
Start Date: ASAP
Union Status: Research , Management/Non Union Bargaining Unit
Compensation: As Per Health Centre Scale
Closing Date: November 02, 2022 (Applications are accepted until 23:59 Atlantic Time)
IWK Health is a respected academic health sciences centre located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care for two million children, youth, adults and families each year across the Atlantic region. We have a team of approximately 4000 employees, physicians, volunteers and learners at sites across Nova Scotia . People build careers with IWK Health with our focus on training and mentorship opportunities. We recognize each other's talent and celebrate our successes. We collaborate in modern facilities or virtually from home, align our work to our values , and enjoy access to enhanced benefits and wellness programs. We are proud to support our patients, families and communities and are grateful for the generous donor support we receive.
Promoting an anti-racist environment, and calling out discrimination as we work and provide care, is important to us. We are located in Mi'kma'ki, the unceded and ancestral territory of the Mi'kmaq people. Working in Mi'kma'ki and providing care to those across Atlantic Canada is a shared privilege with the original inhabitants who have lived here for many thousands of years prior to colonization. There are 13 First Nation communities across Nova Scotia, and more than 50 historic African Nova Scotian communities who also have a long, deep, and complex history dating back over 400 years. We have the highest percentage of people with disabilities in the country. Nova Scotia has the highest proportions of transgender and non-binary people than any other province or territory in the country. We are active in our work to eliminate discrimination, but have more work to do to build that trust, acknowledge our biases and reduce the barriers our diverse communities face. We want IWK Health to be a safe and supportive space of equity and belonging in the care we provide and the employment we offer. We welcome all interested persons who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotians, Persons of Colour, Immigrants/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply to support our goal for our workforce to be representative of the patients, families, and communities that we care for at all job levels.
Primary Responsibilities Will Include But Are Not Limited To
Reporting to the IWK Department of Surgery Research Committee, the Research Admin Assistant works with minimal supervision and is responsible for duties associated with the administration of research activities in the group.
- Provides quality support to researchers by responding to inquiries, identifying needs and meeting expectations in a friendly and helpful manner.
- Assists in the administration of research accounting, documentation and reporting.
- Prepares financial statistics and data for annual or quarterly reports, as applicable
- Manages accounts payable, receivable, billing requests and processes
- Reviews and reconciles study accounts
- Manages and monitors study budgets
- Prepares, types/transcribes and distributes correspondence, minutes, documents and reports with accuracy and high regard to confidentiality.
- Assists in documentation of study activities, administrative paperwork, coordination of participant visits and data collection and entry.
- Maintains schedules, arranges meetings, including room bookings
- Assists Senior Research Team in the administration of research facility needs including research space oversight.
- Supports the administration of Human Resource requirements within the groups.
- Other duties as required.
Hours of Work
Flexible schedule of 22.5 hours per week (0.6 FTE) during business hours: Monday to Friday, 8:30am - 4:30pm
Must be able to work business hours
Must be able to work on-site a minimum of once a week.
- Graduate from a recognized Secretarial/Office Administration Diploma program and or diploma in Business Administration OR graduate from a science or health care related program required.
- 3 - 5 years experience (or equivalent combination of training and experience).
- Experience in both conduct and administration of clinical research an asset.
- Familiarity with medical terminology an asset.
- Ability to work independently with minimum direction and/or supervision is essential.
- Demonstrated accurate keyboarding and data entry skills required.
- Initiative, accuracy, and attention to detail.
- Proven interpersonal and communication skills required
- Strong organization and time management skills
- Competency in all Microsoft Office programs required. Knowledge of SAP an asset. Knowledge of ROMEO is an asset.
- Judgment, diplomacy and discretion in handling confidential information
- Must have the ability to function effectively in a busy environment where multiple deadlines and concurrent activities are the norm.
T hank you for your interest in IWK Health.
Please note that we only contact applicants selected for interview/testing. If we invite you to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) you have the right to request accommodation. Please discuss your needs when invited to the assessment process.
This is a Management/Non Union bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
An offer of employment is conditional upon the completion and satisfactory results of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials. Additionally, as per Nova Scotia's COVID-19 Vaccine mandate, any offer of employment will be conditional upon submitting proof of full vaccination status. Medical exceptions or any other kind of requested exception based upon the Health Centre's obligations pursuant to the Nova Scotia Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis
I f you are an employee of IWK Health , please apply through the internal careers page to ensure you are flagged as an internal applicant.