Req ID: 143206
Company: Nova Scotia Health
Location: Western Zone, North Queens Community Health Centre
Department : PHC WZ LQ FP North Queens
Type of Employment: Permanent Hourly PT ( 60% FTE) x 1 position(s)
Status: MGMT/NON-Union Management/Non Union Position
Posting Closing Date: 9-Nov-22
Nova Scotia Health is the largest provider of health services in Nova Scotia, with some specialized services also offered to clients throughout Atlantic Canada. We're on a mission to achieve excellence in health, healing and learning through working together, which is reflected in the hospitals, health centres and community-based programs we operate across the province. Our passionate team of professionals provides a variety of high-quality inpatient and outpatient services including academic, tertiary, and quaternary care, as well as continuing care, primary health care, public health, and mental health and addictions. Join a diverse team of innovators, collaborators and creative thinkers today.
Nova Scotia Health employs professionals in all corners of our beautiful province. We believe there's a place here for everyone to call home, from vibrant cities with exuberant nightlife to quaint towns with picturesque trails. The work-life balance that comes with an Nova Scotia Health role means you'll have the time to explore, discover, and participate in that coveted Atlantic lifestyle. Visit us today and check out www.novascotia.com to see why more people from across the globe are moving here.
About The Opportunity
The Administrative Assistant performs reception duties related to the administration of day-to-day operations of the Clinic including, but not limited to:
- directing clients/patients as needed;
- assisting patients with forms and healthcare renewals as deemed appropriate;
- maintaining patient bookings, ensuring adequate visit time, and allowing time for urgent visits;
- booking referrals to specialists and physicians and follow-up appointments;
- following up referrals for patient tests/medical visits and ensuring test results are received;
- preparing reports for referrals;
- directing general requests and queries from other departments, clinics and community agencies;
- performing accurate data entry in-house and assisting with data entry from other sites as needed.
Performs clerical functions related to the administration of day-to-day operations of the Clinic including, but not limited to:
- processing incoming and outgoing mail, typing, transcribing, filing, processing incoming and outgoing telephone calls, scheduling appointments, faxing, e-mails, data entry, scanning and photocopying;
- preparing material and information for meetings;
- maintaining current patient registry;
- preparing, creating and maintaining both paper and electronic medical records and files;
- maintaining adequate inventory list of equipment and furnishings;
- ensuring equipment is maintained and preventative maintenance schedules are followed;
- maintaining current inventory of office supplies and an adequate inventory of clinical supplies;
- organizing and maintaining shadow billing, records of accounts receivable/payable and communicating accounting discrepancies to the Nurse Practitioner and Physician;
- coordinating, preparing and monitoring time sheets for the primary health care program;
- updating schedule for professional staff;
- preparing monthly statistics and verifying data for evaluation purposes and accuracy;
- attending meetings as required for the purpose of recording and transcribing minutes and distribution to attending persons, i.e. advisory board meetings.
Performs duties related to the Primary Health Care Team including:
- planning, scheduling, communicating and organizing service functions for the operation of the primary health care service;
- working collaboratively with the South Shore Geographical Area Primary Health Care Team and support staff;
- assisting in the preparation and delivery of presentations and activities related to health promotion and disease prevention;
- supporting the Primary Health Care Team in collaboration with the interdisciplinary team and community partners in developing policies for healthy communities;
- supporting the Primary Health Care Team in the implementation and evaluation of health promotion and disease prevention programs and activities;
- coordinating the Information Systems;
- facilitating and coordinating major primary health care administrative functions as required by the organization and the South Shore Geographical Area Primary Health Care Team;
- participating in administrative policy, procedure and process development, implementation and evaluation.
We would love to hear from you if you have the following:
- Graduate of a recognized Medical Office Assistant Course or equivalent
- Successful completion of a Medical Terminology course required.
- Minimum two (2) years' experience working in an administrative support position required.
- Experience in a primary health care environment required.
- Proficient with Med Access and Electronic Medical Record (EMR) and experience in problem-solving EMR technical difficulties with Provincial Health Information Management (PHIM).
- Strong leadership, organizational and prioritization skills with demonstrated evidence of critical thinking, problem solving and analysis process ability.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (listening, written and oral) with the ability to demonstrate a caring and respectful attitude for people as individuals and to work collaboratively and effectively with others.
- Demonstrated outcome oriented by identifying ways to improve work or processes based on results and/or evidence and evidence of innovation and creativity within project work.
- Ability to take and transcribe minutes.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision, and to set high performance goals and accept accountability for continuous professional self-development.
- Commitment to promoting a culture of respect that supports safety, ethical practices, cultural awareness and organizational health.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Word, Access, Excel, Power Point, E-mail and Outlook required, with keyboarding skills of 50 wpm and a maximum error rate of 5% and accurate data entry skills.
- Position requires standing, sitting, keyboarding, telephone duties, multitasking, working under pressure to meet deadlines and working flexible hours as necessary and travelling to clinics within the South Shore Geographical Area.
- Valid Nova Scotia Driver's License and access to a reliable vehicle
- Competencies in other languages an asset, French preferred, and ability to work with language agency to deliver care to patients in other languages is considered an asset
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will not be considered for an interview if applications are incomplete or are missing information. Applicants relying on education and experience equivalencies must demonstrate such equivalencies in their application.
Please ensure your resume is up to date and includes all relevant education, experience, training, and certifications.
Permanent Part time (.60) 42 hours Biweekly
Compensation and Incentives
$20.95- $26.19 Hourly
Successful candidates may be eligible for our benefits package which includes health, dental, travel, long-term disability, and life insurance coverage as well as a defined benefit pension plan.
Once You've Applied
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
This is a Management/Non Union bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Employees are encouraged to view their seniority hours and dates in their SuccessFactors online profile. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
As per the COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccination Protocol in High-Risk Settings, Nova Scotia Health requires all team members to be fully vaccinated by November 30th, 2021.
Nova Scotia Health is committed to being a workforce that is free of discrimination, values diversity and is representative, at all job levels, of the people we serve. We encourage all qualified applicants who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotian, Persons of Colour, Immigrants/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply and self-identify.