This position reports into the Senior Manager, Product Management & Digital Sales and supports Direct Energy's product management and development efforts to extend our position of leading provider of innovative propositions in the Alberta residential and small commercial retail energy market. This role will be responsible for multiple product innovation initiatives, using all customer communication channels including digital offerings, and various digital and traditional insight campaigns. This individual will also have responsibility for identifying and recommending new customer insight driven products and managing product life cycles. This role will work closely with Customer Management & Retention, Digital Management, Marketing, and Sales Channels to align technology, features, benefits, value proposition, customer experience, and marketing plans to the targeted segments. This role will also work closely with Operations and Information Technology to ensure implementation of the feature set will achieve the desired business outcomes.
Design products starting from concept development to leading cross-functional teams through to Go-To-Market launch.
- Custodian of the customer's needs. Identifies, understands and represents the customer's needs in the development of new products for the company
- Independently leading projects in providing breakthrough products and services that satisfy unmet customer needs.
- Lead design thinking workshops with a cross functional team using an agreed to framework (including but not limited to e.g. 5 stage process: Emphasize, Define, Ideate, Prototype, Test)
- Translate product strategy into detailed requirements, prototypes and wireframes
- Create product strategy documents that describe business cases, high-level use cases, technical requirements, revenue, and ROI
- Scope and prioritize activities based on business and customer impact
- Work closely with Operations, UX/UI and IT teams to deliver products with efficient time-to-market
- Define the vision for product design and user experience
- Drive product launches including working with marketing team, executives, and other product management team members in the US
- Drive the execution of all product lifecycle processes for products, including product research, market research, competitive analysis, planning, positioning, roadmap development, requirements development, and product launch
- Collaborate closely with operations, customer retention & management, digital management, marketing, and sales teams on the development, QA, and release of products and balance of resources to ensure success for the entire organization
- Gain a deep understanding of the customer experience, identify and fill product gaps and generate new ideas that grow market share, improve customer retention and drive growth
- Preempt issues and head off problems by ensuring all operational implications of the product are identified and resolved prior to the successful product launch
- Using a range of inputs from data, customer feedback and your own judgement to build a prioritized product backlog
- Taking responsibility for the delivery and performance of your product, using data and feedback to continuously iterate and improve
- Research, analyze and make recommendations on the commercial feasibility of the product concepts and identify key risks
- Closely monitor testing of new product concepts focusing on potential improvements
- Enroll successive levels of management to gain support and resources to take products and projects to completion
- Develop documentation of the detailed description of the product structure, including features and benefits; this also helps to support efforts around development of contract language and marketing, sales and digital content
- Track and measure business performance metrics of customer insight products
- Work with Customer Experience team to ensure customer satisfaction
- Work with Regulatory, Legal, and Energy Supply on key issues/opportunities
- Work with Market Research to design projects to assess product impact
- Primarily an office environment.
- Some overtime required as special projects arise.
- Some travel <10%
- A post-secondary degree, college diploma or equivalent years' work experience in marketing or a related field.
- 5+ years of Product Management experience, preferably in a start-up or fast-paced environment
- Excellent problem-solving skills. Naturally curious and enjoy identifying and delivering solutions to complex problems, by using technology (bonus)
- Empathy, and a passion for building the best user experience. Experience in a consumer-focused digital business is a plus
- Excellent communication skills, you ?keep it simple? and make complicated details and problems understandable to a non-technical audience
- A good business sense, experience working in Strategy is a plus
- A passion for using data and insights in decision making
- Experience in leading a cross-functional team and can bring people along collectively driving change and innovation
- Experience with wireframing, writing user stories and agile software development practices
- Self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity
- High-tech product management, product marketing, or product development experience desired.
- Experience in emergent technology product or services desired.
- Online, web, email and/or mobile experience desired.
- Marketing analytics is a plus
Additional Knowledge, Skills And Abilities
- Teamwork and cross-functional leadership skills.
- Problem definition and solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills; i.e. effectively communicates with internal groups on ideas and resolves issues.
- Project management experience is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skill
- Collaborative approach to issues and problems
- Ability to work effectively both independently and with teams
- Ability to manage multiple complex projects simultaneously
- Ability to use good judgment to make recommendations and decisions
- Ability to adapt to rapidly changing priorities
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities
- Position requires employee to work using a laptop/computer screen.
NRG Energy is committed to providing broad access to employment opportunities so that diverse job seekers can apply to positions, and to ensuring our workforce represents the diverse communities we serve. We abide by human rights legislation and accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with applicable law.