Ontario Genomics is a not-for-profit organization incorporated in the province of Ontario. Established in 2000, our mission is to lead the application of genomics-based solutions across key sectors of the economy to drive economic growth, improved quality of life and global leadership for Ontario. Our vision is to enable healthy people, a healthy economy and a healthy planet through genomics innovations. We work with researchers, small and large companies, not-for-profits and governments to create public-private and public-public partnerships that unlock made-in-Ontario, cutting-edge solutions and technologies for the world.
The position of Manager, Innovation Communications and Public Affairs is to provide strategic communications leadership in support of Ontario Genomics' corporate strategy. Reporting to the Director, Communications and Public Affairs, the responsibilities of the Manager include the development and execution of strong strategy-driven content to promote Ontario Genomics, its funding programs and its broader impact in Ontario, Canada and around the world. The Manager will lead media relations and content creation, while playing a supportive role in government engagement for Ontario Genomics.
Innovation Communications and Content Creation
- Support the development of communications plans that supports the organization's innovation agenda, corporate strategy and priorities, public affairs and policy strategic plan, narrative framework and key messaging.
- Lead narrative creation across a network of Ontario Genomics projects and initiatives to integrate a common message and interconnection across all aspects of the communications plan.
- Support the development of high-profile promotional content, including public affairs products, website, the annual report and other corporate material.
- Compose and review strategic texts for a variety of audiences, including web copy, program material, key messages, speeches, blogs, speaking engagements, and social media content.
- Liaise with teams within the organization to support communications around mission and program competition launches/checkpoints/closures.
- Work closely with key genomics and engineering biology start-ups to share their innovation and technology success stories with key stakeholders.
- Develop integrated media campaigns, including events, news releases, pitching media, and speech development.
- Cultivate strategic media relations and partnerships with journalists and reporters across national and local outlets interested in innovation, science, economic development and technology content.
- Writing, editing, and proofreading media relations materials, including press releases, opinion editorials, speeches, and blogs for internal and external use.
- Preparations for media interviews, including logistics and assembling briefing materials.
- Stay abreast of emerging issues pertinent to Ontario Genomics and provide support for developing key messaging and issues management.
Communications and Government Engagement
- Support the organization's thought leadership in genomics and engineering biology through strategic and creative communications, strategic partnerships and sponsorships, and public engagement campaigns.
- Support engagement and advocacy across provincial and federal levels of government to increase understanding of impact and importance of Ontario Genomics, as well as the broader genomics community.
- Cultivate relationships with external stakeholders to support Ontario Genomics communications, particularly with the government and research community (funders, universities, third-party funding organizations) and communications counterparts.
- Provide and prepare input to the budgeting, accounting, planning, reporting and evaluation initiatives and processes of assigned projects and initiatives.
- Undertake other duties, as assigned by the Director, Communications and Public Affairs.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- At minimum, completion of a bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Journalism, Communications or recognized equivalent required.
- 5+ years of progressive practical experience in the fields of corporate communications, public affairs, journalism and/or media relations.
- Experience with leading a team through the development and implementation of media relations programs, including communications plans, tactics, and products.
- Exceptional strategic communicator in all mediums, demonstrating advanced skills in narrative development and storytelling.
- Experience with creative writing and content creation.
- Government relations knowledge at provincial and federal levels.
- Familiarity with Canadian research and innovation ecosystem and government policy is a strong asset.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail in communicating, messaging, writing, and presentations.
- Self-starter with strong project management skills.
- Existing media relationships are an asset.
- Fluency in French is an asset.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build effective working relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ability to work in high-pressure work environments, with competing priorities, and under tight deadlines.
- Knowledge of IDEA (Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Accessibility) principles as they pertain to professional communications.
Salary Range: $85,000 - $100,000/ year
Please submit a cover letter and resume via email to Sue Ross (via Isarta).
Deadline to apply: December 2, 2022.
At Ontario Genomics, we embrace inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility (IDEA) principles and strive to incorporate these into our hiring practices. We are working to address research that shows women and other equity-deserving groups often only apply when they feel 100% qualified. If you don't see yourself fully reflected in every job requirement listed in the posting above, we still encourage you to reach out and apply. We are committed to creating a more just, inclusive, diverse, equitable and accessible organization. We welcome applicants from all genders, ages, ethnicities, races, cultures, abilities, sexual orientations and life experiences to apply. While everyone is considered, only the most qualified candidates will be contacted. Upon being contacted, accommodation requests can be made for any stage of the recruitment process.