Posting Title Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Location: The RCMP Heritage Centre
Position Details: Full Time Position
Compensation: $45,000-$55,000 annual salary (based on experience)
Hours of Work: 40 hours/week with some evenings and weekends
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) is one of Canada's longest-standing institutions and is deeply embedded in the history and unfolding story of our country. The RCMP and its symbols - the ?red serge?, Mounties on horseback, and the Musical Ride - have become icons of Canadian Heritage familiar around the world.
The RCMP Heritage Centre represents a rich space for historical preservation, exploration of alternate perspectives, and the pursuit of reconciliation, and has become a major destination centre that celebrates the traditions and history of the RCMP. More recently, the RCMP Heritage Centre is embarking on an exciting new chapter of its own story by undergoing the process to become established as a national museum in Canada.
To prepare for the long path ahead, the Centre is building a team today that is bold, passionate, collaborative, and up for the challenge as we take this journey together and deliver on a vision of celebration and discovery; reconciliation and reflection, for all Canadians.
The Marketing & Communications Coordinator plays an integral role in promoting our organization, showcasing our impact, and telling the many stories in captivating and compelling ways. As a creative communicator, you will support all RCMP Heritage Centre teams in promoting and communicating programs and services. We are looking for an
energetic team player who can juggle multiple projects and adapt to a growing environment. We need someone who is flexible, open to change and willing to help us create exceptional marketing and communications materials.
Directed by the Director of Strategic Initiatives, you will play a pivotal role in positioning the Centre positively, promoting our many activities and events, connecting with audiences, and building the reputation of the Centre as a world-class cultural experience.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Reporting to the Director of Strategic Initiatives, you will be a member of the Marketing & Communications team and will be responsible for supporting all functions of marketing and communications.
- Working closely with the Marketing & Communications Manager and Graphic Designer, you will be responsible for understanding the organization's strategic priorities and initiatives to support the organization's marketing and communications across all of the organization's teams (retail, programming, fund development, facility rentals, etc.).
- You will work closely with other teams (retail, programming, fund development, facility rentals, etc.) to understand their areas of operation, their audiences and how to reach them.
- Part of your role will be to support the Friends of the Mounted Police Heritage Centre in developing and executing their communications and marketing needs. This function is critically important to the Centre, and you will be given the opportunity for development, and support to lead this portfolio.
- The Marketing & Communications Coordinator will be a natural storyteller - with the ability to identify the who, what, where and why of the many programs and services the Centre offers.
- You will assist with creative writing for promotional content, and donor communications, where/when needed, and support in writing and editing all communications and marketing material including (but not limited to) web content, social media content, posters, promotional items, collateral, annual reports, news releases, key messages, etc.
- The Marketing &Communications Coordinator will also support the Marketing & Communications Manager in creating and executing the marketing and content plans.
- Support the marketing team in production of items (like printed posters, brochures or pull-up banners).
- Monitor and report all marketing and communications activities to ensure goals are achieved, and growth can be benchmarked and built upon.
- The position requires a candidate who understands appropriate chains of communication - understanding when and how to triage requests, media outreach, and correspondence.
- You will understand communications and marketing basics, including audiences and target markets, objectives setting, choosing the appropriate channel for the message, and delivering and developing messaging.
- Building and maintaining relationships with local media to obtain positive media coverage for the Centre, and triaging or responding to requests, when directed, in an approved, appropriate and timely manner.
- Responsibility for website updates using the content management system (CMS) and responsibility for all social media; including creating content to deliver on set/approved content calendars, tracking and incorporating trends, monitoring and community management, best-practice in cross-channel content delivery, and analytics and reporting.
- Taking photos, shooting and editing videos, and developing content based on the programs and services of the Centre, community events, special and donor events.
- Assistance with set up, promotion, and capturing photos and content at community and sponsored special events.
- When necessary, you will assist with ensuring virtual and live streaming is seamless.
- You will be required, at times, to be present for or attend special events, galas, fundraisers or networking events in your role with the RCMP Heritage Centre.
- You will be required, at times, to be available for some evening, weekend, or special event hours.
- Bilingual fluency (English/French) would be considered a strong asset.
- Degree in public relations, communications, marketing, journalism and/or a related professional designation or certificate will be considered an asset.
- Exceptional team skills and a commitment to maintaining a positive, collaborative, respectful work environment are essential qualifications.
- Two years of related experience in communications and a demonstrated ability writing and editing all forms of marketing and communications materials including but not limited to; web content, social content, newsletters, annual report content, promotional materials and advertisements, key messages, etc.
- Proven social media content creation and community management and customer service skills.
- Exceptional, creative, and persuasive English communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Experience and comfort working with social media and associated tools, such as Facebook Creator Studio/Meta Business Suite and analytics dashboards. Experience with social media management tools (i.e., Sprout or Hootsuite) will be considered an asset.
- Experience with media relations - news release writing, relationships with media, managing a news media contact database, responding to media inquiries, etc. will be considered an asset.
- Experience placing/buying ads on social media will be considered an asset.
- An enthusiastic go-getter who is as positive about doing as they are about learning and growing with the organization.
- High regard for accuracy and attention to detail with excellent organizational skills and the ability to prioritize a varied and dynamic workload.
- A person of integrity; committed to upholding professional ethics and encouraging public relations best practices.
- Samples of work may be requested by candidates selected for the interview process
- A security check will be conducted for this position and hiring is contingent on the successful candidate passing this clearance.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are a place for all Canadians and equal opportunity and are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Application Instructions (*must be followed for the application to be considered)
- Qualified applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada or have appropriate documents permitting them to reside and work in Canada.
- Please submit your
- Please submit your application, attention to Sam Karikas by November 29, 2022.
Thank you to all who apply. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.