Company : IWK Health
Req ID: 144384
Department/Program : Autism Team , Children's Health Program
Type of Employment: Temporary Hourly PT long-assignment ( 60% FTE) for one year x 1 position
Start Date: ASAP
Union Status: NSGEU Off&Cler , Admin Professionals Bargaining Unit
Compensation: $ 20.3648 - $ 23.1417 /hour
Closing Date: November 16, 2022 (Applications are accepted until 23:59 Atlantic Time)
IWK Health is a respected academic health sciences centre located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, providing tertiary and primary care for two million children, youth, adults and families each year across the Atlantic region. We have a team of approximately 4000 employees, physicians, volunteers and learners at sites across Nova Scotia . People build careers with IWK Health with our focus on training and mentorship opportunities. We recognize each other's talent and celebrate our successes. We collaborate in modern facilities or virtually from home, align our work to our values , and enjoy access to enhanced benefits and wellness programs. We are proud to support our patients, families and communities and are grateful for the generous donor support we receive.
Promoting an anti-racist environment, and calling out discrimination as we work and provide care, is important to us. We are located in Mi'kma'ki, the unceded and ancestral territory of the Mi'kmaq people. Working in Mi'kma'ki and providing care to those across Atlantic Canada is a shared privilege with the original inhabitants who have lived here for many thousands of years prior to colonization. There are 13 First Nation communities across Nova Scotia, and more than 50 historic African Nova Scotian communities who also have a long, deep, and complex history dating back over 400 years. We have the highest percentage of people with disabilities in the country. Nova Scotia has the highest proportions of transgender and non-binary people than any other province or territory in the country. We are active in our work to eliminate discrimination, but have more work to do to build that trust, acknowledge our biases and reduce the barriers our diverse communities face. We want IWK Health to be a safe and supportive space of equity and belonging in the care we provide and the employment we offer. We welcome all interested persons who self-identify as Indigenous, Black/African Nova Scotians, Persons of Colour, Immigrants/Newcomers, Persons with Disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ to apply to support our goal for our workforce to be representative of the patients, families, and communities that we care for at all job levels.
Responsibilities Include But Are Not Limited To
Reporting to the Managers of Rehabilitation Services, the Administrative Assistant will provide high quality administrative, secretarial, and organizational support to the Autism Team.
- Liaises with patients, families, staff and stakeholders in a courteous and professional manner.
- Answers telephone/e-mail inquiries, relays messages and information accurately by referring inquiries, with follow up, as appropriate.
- Supports the administrative components of the diagnostic assessment process from receipt of referral to report completion. This includes but is not limited to: supporting gathering information from families, the triage and booking process, management of wait lists, assists in coordination of assessments between team members, assessment preparation, appointment letters, distribution of the report and administrative follow-up.
- Drafts letters, types/transcribes reports, correspondence, photocopies and distributes accordingly.
- Maintains office filing system to ensure efficient storage and retrieval of material. Processes incoming/outgoing mail.
- Registers patient appointments for the Autism Team as well as the Psychology Service.
- Books and coordinates events and meetings for the Autism Team including bookings and equipment as required.
- Attends committee meetings, takes, produces and distributes minutes, as required.
- Manages and maintains patient database(s) and is responsible for data entry; manages inventory of clinical assessment materials and supplies and places orders as required.
- Covers front desk and supports coverage of admins in work area as required.
Hours of Work
Monday to Friday; Hours from 8 - 4
- Minimum High School Diploma or GED required.
- Graduate from a recognized Office Administration diploma program required.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
- Minimum six (6) months of related administrative experience required. Administrative/secretarial experience in a health care environment preferred.
- Keyboarding skills of 60 wpm required
- Advanced working knowledge of Windows, MS Office Suite including PowerPoint, Excel spreadsheets and database programs, specifically Access, required.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal and written) skills required.
- Demonstrated initiative; self-motivation and ability to work independently with minimal supervision required.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and consultatively with team members and stakeholders required.
- Proven time management, organizational, and problem-solving skills required.
- High regard for quality, attention to detail, and flexibility to meet workload demands required.
- Experience with MEDITECH preferred
- Knowledge of program-based care an asset.
- Competencies in other languages an asset.
T hank you for your interest in IWK Health.
Please note that we only contact applicants selected for interview/testing. If we invite you to participate in an assessment process (such as an interview or testing) you have the right to request accommodation. Please discuss your needs when invited to the assessment process.
This is a Admin Professionals bargaining unit position. Preference is given to bargaining unit employees for unionized positions. Successful applicants changing unions, bargaining units or employment status, are advised to seek clarification regarding their seniority, benefits, and vacation entitlement and/or usage, prior to accepting the position.
An offer of employment is conditional upon the completion and satisfactory results of all applicable background checks and confirmation of credentials. Additionally, as per Nova Scotia's COVID-19 Vaccine mandate, any offer of employment will be conditional upon submitting proof of full vaccination status. Medical exceptions or any other kind of requested exception based upon the Health Centre's obligations pursuant to the Nova Scotia Human Rights Code will be considered on a case-by-case basis
I f you are an employee of IWK Health , please apply through the internal careers page to ensure you are flagged as an internal applicant.